1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security tweaks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

With the recent security vulnerability discoveries with SSL and certain security ciphers, I've been doing some work under the hood this morning, tightening up some things.

First thing I did was purchase a basic SSL security certificate, so if you decide to use "https", you may get some odd security warnings, but nothing that's earth shatteringly worrisome. Still a few tweaks I have to do on that end as well. If you're looking for the "green bar", that ain't gonna happen. They want some serious bucks for that level of certification.

I've also modified the accepted security ciphers for the server, and while we're currently getting a B grade on that end, I'm still working on getting that up to an A.

I still have to do some work on switching over to cPanel's version of mod_security as well.

2. Biker

I've set GA to default to https. You should see a shiny new lock in the URL bar now. :D

Allene and rockotman like this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Did some specific event cause you to do this?

4. Biker

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Ah, thanks.

6. Biker

Sweet!

gasecurity.png

tke711, ethics and SixofNine like this.
  7. Biker

To get an A+, I'd have to do some things that would create more issues than solve. I'm happy with this score.

Allene likes this.
  8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Just curious, what do we have so secret that we care who reads it? Yeah, sure, HTTPS gets my posts to GA encrypted, but when I hit "Post Reply" everybody can see it.

What exactly have we gained except maybe somebody can tell I am the person who posted this? I'm exercising my First Amendment right of Free Speech. I don't care if the gummint can tell I was the one who posted this post.

Shit if the gumming was listening to me I'd fill their ears with all sorts of shit and tell them to fuck off and fuck the horse they are riding too. (Their dick, not mine.)

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Congratulations, Tom, for the rating! Way to go!

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's awesome, you should be proud!

11. Biker

The thing that had me puzzled was trying to get around the RC4 in TLS issue which automatically downgraded the score to a B. I fussed and fiddled the ciphers for quite some time before I figured it out.

12. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Greg,

Google is starting to rank web pages by certain "standards."

One of them is how friendly ("Responsive") websites are to mobile devices, the other is HTTPS. If all other things are equal, these two items will put the website higher in their search rankings over those that don't.

Allene likes this.
  13. Greg

Greg Full Member

Thanks for the explanation Mark. :)

Would you believe I didn't know that? :D

14. Biker