1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Life: Inflated Numbers

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

From /.:

"The LA Times is running a story today saying that marketers are pulling out of Second Life, primarily because surprise, surprise the 'more than 8 million residents' figure on the game's Web site is grossly inflated.

Also, as it turns out, the virtual world's regular visitors at most 40,000 of them online at any time are not only disinterested in in-world marketing, but actively hostile to it, staging attacks on corporate presences such as the Reebok and American Apparel stores.

Inflated? Probably, I have a lot of friends who game, CS, WoW, even Lineage, but I don't know ANY that play Second Life.

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Me neither, I've never been in second life. I think the hype on it has always been greater than the actual usage.

3. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Oddly enough this is not the first time I have heard this.

I have some friends that retreated to second life when Star Wars Galaxies fell apart. I decided I had no interest in following them when I heard it was being used to sell real world items and you spent real world money on virtual items.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

How do you buy "genitalia?"

5. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member