1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sean Penn Should Stick to Acting

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

"Simply put, if there is a war or continued sanctions against Iraq, the blood of Americans and Iraqis alike will be on our (American) hands," Penn said at a news conference in the Iraqi capital Sunday.

Actors/Actresses should stick to acting.

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

You have to wonder, since it is unlikely that Sean Penn has ever formed a legitimate idea on his own; is he trying to impress Jane Fonda or is he her illegitimate son?

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow, that's odd...one can still recall the days when Mr. Penn was a born-and-bred hellraiser, whose favorite pastime was beating the snot out of photographers.

I'm curious as to what goal he has in mind here. Has the government ever listened to Hollywood types in the past? Not that I'm aware of. All he does is undermine his own career potential. Nimrod.

SM

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Am I the only seeing the irony in a dictator, a member of the least liberal species on the planet, seeking and getting support of a liberal from one of the most sinful professions on the planet by his religion's opinion. Is this desperation? By the way, did the dickhead actually offer a solution or just take shots at his country.

I think the only words he spoke that made sense were "Simply Put". Ya, I can agree with that.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

It's the drugs, man, the drugs! Did you see the expression on his face? Now that was the look of a deep thinker. I call it the 'Nick Nolte' look.

6. Sierra Mike

Agreed. This is knee-jerk liberalism at its best. It seems highly incompatible that Hollywood stars would rush to the PR aid of someone like Saddam Hussein, a man who has had a hand in the death of hundreds of thousands, if not millions. What's next for Mssr. Penn? A stopover in Tehran to exhort more heavy-handed theocratic rule from the mullahs? Perhaps a meet-and-greet with Osama Bin Laden, replete with photo ops?

It doesn't make sense. The inspectors are on the ground, going about their work. The US is prepositioning its military resources, but no one has fired a single shot. I'd thought Penn was perhaps a bit smarter than that; indeed, he's sunk to the lows of the likes of Woody Harrelson.

SM

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Shame on you people... to rush to judgement!

Sean Penn was a covert agent of the CIA who is being used to lull Sadaam with a false sense of security.

I mean, it is as plain as the nose on your face.
    Each Hollywood actor is taking their turn.
    Who better to reflect the real reality of American society than the Hollywood Stars?

Doesn't everyone know that they get daily briefings from the National Security Advisor?

Our country is in good hands.

You can go back to sleep now.

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I must defend my liberal friends on this one. Hollywood celebrities are not liberals in the traditional sense any more than they are the average person. They are functionally social and intellectually lame morons out of touch with the whole world. They are not pro Saddam or anti-war; they are anti-establishment and anti-authority. And to them the establishment is represented by Republcians or conservatives. They are with few exceptions the most egocentric people in the country.

The current crisis only shows their hypocrisy. Where were these same people we hear so much from now during the Clinton administration? Their silence was deafening when he bombed the crap out of the Serbs for 80 days killing thousands of civilians in what was clearly a European problem. They were silent when he launched missiles against Iraq and bin Laden. The reason they were silent was because Clinton was as actor Ron Silver put it, one of ours.

My observations are not about Clinton or his actions but rather about the celebrities and their motivations.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

10. Sierra Mike

11. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

ROFLMFAO! I was thinking the same thing. ;)

12. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

He once criticized Nic Cage for taking big Hollywood money rather than making 'important' Indie movies.
    He then promptly signed on for several episodes of 'Friends', which is as 'important' and 'Indie' as it gets...
    Why is it I find the most annoying of these people, are always the ones who got their big break right at the start of their career, and have never had a 'genuine' worry since?
    And on that question, is it better to travel to Iraq or steal from Saks, anyway?

13. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Okay, I'll take the bait -
    Who is Sean Penn?
    I have worked in theatre for all of my post-legal life and never heard of him.
    -M

14. limeygit

He is a serious actor, damn it, he only makes important movies, really I would have thought any member of the legitimate theater would be well versed in the peculiar genius of Mr. Penn.

Oh, he also use to punch photographers when he was Mr. Madonna. I am going to assume Martin has heard of Madonna...

15. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Theatre? That is your problem. Sean Penn is *Hollywood*-nothing to do with theatre. Acting up maybe but that's about it ;.

16. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Only in legal journals has Martin come across the name of Madonna or perhaps in a combined legal/psychological analysis paper. Surely not in fanzines. ;)

17. limeygit

For a serious answer, look here
    http://us.imdb.com/Name?Penn,+Sean

18. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Martin,
    Theatre is on Broadway in the city. He works in theater. A world apart.

19. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

One could infer from the above that your current life is not on the up and up. Anything you want to tell us, Martin?

20. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,

Okay, checked the link, and I have seen him once, then. I wish to cast no aspersions upon Madonna, but I have rarely seen such fame produced from so little ability.
    Funny, Elisabeth Taylor was a fine technical actress, whose rather hectic lifestyle obscured genuine craftmanship, but, ii shocks me to this day that real theatre, in communties, where everyone can see it is so unimportant here. Opera in America is mostly imitating the Met, which itself is about celebrity and grandios pomposity rather than human and moving theatre.
    Just as law was ruined by lawyers, apparently the arts are being raped by celebrities.
    A movie star is not an actor. An actor is a disciplined craftsman using his voice and body to portray characters on stage, in service to the play, not using the play as a vehicle for self-aggrandisement.
    Art with no moral underpinnings is highly unlikely to produce the depth of emotion we associate with the great conductors, actors, singers of yesteryear. Many of whom, by the way, were sufficiently disciplined to be able to speak quite literately upon political and social topics, since those are often the stuff of theatre.
    Regards,
    M