1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish families won't be able to film own kids in school plays...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2576743.stm

Councillors in Edinburgh have banned parents from filming their children in school nativity plays following concerns that the videos could fall into the hands of pedophiles. Unless parents get the permission of each individual child's family, they won't be able to film their own kids at school plays. This is coming about because lately, pedophiles have been caught with "family photo" type pictures and videos of school plays.

This isn't the scary thing - the scary thing is that they're not the first ones to do this. <i>"It follows a similar move by a school in Luton, which banned all film and digital photography at its nativity play. "</i>

I'm sitting here, speechless. I want to stop pedophiles as bad as the next guy, but I also would like to take pictures of my kids (when I have them) at a school play, goddamnit!!!

Thoughts?

2. jamming

jamming Banned

General Overreaction to a depressing problem, how about a background check and a license to film?

3. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

We have not been allowed to film sheep in Islay for the last few years....

4. claire

claire Registered User

As Jamming said general overreaction.Let's hope things will cool down after a few days thinking over it.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

This is complete and utter nonsense. I fail to see how this move will do anything to prevent sick people from molesting children.

So if it is discovered that many pedophiles eat corn flakes for breakfast, should we ban corn flakes? That's about how much sense this stupid rule makes to me.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Pedophiles breath air - let's ban breathing and kill them all ;)

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Let's ban the idiots that pass stupid laws and regulations and instead require common sense be a requirement before going into public service.

8. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Though I agree the move sounds rediculous, I think you all may be missing the point.

For one -- RRed, I doubt that a pedophile gets an erection from eating cornflakes...

Second -- let's take a closer look at this -- wouldn't it seem odd how a pedophile would get his filthy hands on a school play videotape to begin with? Perhaps what they're suggesting is that pedophiles are coming into the schools and doing the videotaping themselves. In which case, yes, I would support this. The article does not come right out and say this, so I could be wrong.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

A good point, but I think simple ID checks would be preferable to parents not being allowed to film their own children.

10. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

To take the implication a step further, the pedophiles they may be concerned about may in fact be a parent, or other family member, or school staff. In which case, ID checks will have no effect.

I do agree the approach is a little draconian, but I don't have any alternative solutions.