1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientists Pinpoint Brain's Fear Control Area, Suppress Panic in Rats

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 7, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This has tremendous implications to humans who channel and web surf. Unexpected pictures of Rosie O'Donnell will no longer require sniffing salts and will divert 911 phone calls to more needy cases.

Researchers report finding a way to short-circuit feelings of panic in rats, according to a study out today. If they can do the same for humans, the discovery may lead to better therapies for anxiety disorders that have been running rampant after the sniper shootings and 9/11 terrorist attacks. In any given year, about 5 million people in the USA will suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, a psychiatric condition triggered by living through or witnessing a traumatic event. Some experts feel people can suffer PTSD symptoms after repeatedly watching traumatic events on television.

Read more here.

2. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I say we will most likely never see this used in the civilian world. On step closer to the Army in Soldier Still human, but not really.

wapu

3. ethics

Really? You think fear is a requirement for civilization? Anyone else?

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes it is a requirement. Without a fear of danger/harm we will not try to avoid it which we need to do in order to survive. Negative reinforcement teaches us what are dangers to us and in that way we "learn" in the strict learning theory meaning of the word.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Actually fear is needed to be a good soldier, for getting shot hurts and it is good to remember that. If you think your invincible and I sure everyone has seen one of those in the service, they get sloppy and stop a bullet with their forehead.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

As one one who has suffered from severe anxiety and panic for the last 10 years or so, I certainly hope that this research is funded and successful.

There are many folks out there whose 'fight or flight' response is out of whack, and who do not respond well to a variety of medications.

Id love to see a medication available that is directed at suppressing severe anxiety specifically. Many folks do not suffer from depression, and are forced to either gamble with the SSRIs and their gamut of side effects and dangers, or get addicted to benzodiazepiens (sp? - drugs like valium) alcohol and marijuana - in an effort to live a normal life.

fear is the mind killer. the greatest martial artists in the world let their fear slip away from them, and allow wisdom and instinct to guide them to martial and military success.

7. ethics

Never thought it could be this bad. Thanks for getting me down to earth about the topic.