1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Searches

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 31, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This aritcle describes a suit by three students rounded up due to their race/appearance and sujbected to searches by police. My first take is they have a case. Does anybody have more information?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Whoa... Bad bad bad... And I agree, sounds as if they have a very good case.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Did they have a third room for the girls? And who got to pat them down?

How many weapons were confiscated durinmg the searches?

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

<i>Students were asked to give police their names, addresses, telephone numbers, birth dates, height and weight; police also took photographs, recorded distinctive characteristics and asked students if they were members of a gang, the suit says. </i>

I'm no lawyer, but this is ILLEGAL, especially since they took photos of minors without the parents knowledge or consent.

Where is Union City?

5. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I agree what the police did was offensive to some (maybe even wrong) ... but probably not illegal.

Whenever there is a child kidnapping, rape, or molestation... the first group of people the police "harrass" are registered sex-offenders and parolees.... for good reason. Occasionally I see them raising hell about their rights being violated... nobody pays them much attention though.

In this case, police were looking for gang members. It is a FACT (at least in southern California) that MOST gang related murders, robberies, rapes, car-jackings, car thefts, assaults, and graffiti... are committed by Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians... precentage-wise, the numbers are far more than than their percentage of the total population.

So the police probably targeted them based on their race... because people of their race cause the most problems (like convicted sex-offenders repeat molesting and raping the most children).

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Here in Toronto, there's a section of the city that's predominantly black. It also has the most murders. The police were recently taken to task for racial profiling because they were shaking down some of the Jamaican gang members..

Now.. The majority of the murders were attributed to the Jamaican gangs, the gang members are predominantly black, AND they're predominantly immigrants (illegal). And the community is bitching because they're shaking down the shadier residents. DUH! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who they need to be looking at.

If you're sitting there pulling black people over on the street and giving them speeding tickets, and it's JUST black people that are getting the tickets, then yeah, scream bloody blue murder about profiling. But when you have a pattern that you KNOW is going to fit into the picture, it sure as hell isn't racial profiling. It's using the known facts at your disposal and the percentages are going to be in your favor. Sheesh!

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The article does not even begin to address larger questions. Did the police just sweep into the school without probable cause to round up any troublemakers? What are the chances of gang members being in school instead of hanging out on the streets? Like a lot of media reporting, so many questions and so few answers.

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Also doesn't state if they found anything. 3 out of the 60 are complaining/suing. Does that mean the other 57 were busted?

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I suspect the ACLU will win the day on this. On the otherside of the coin, as Biker and Frank pointed out, going after the known element is the thing that needs to happen. Profiling, per se, is an extremely valuable tool for law enforcement...a tool that airline security seems to have misplaced. Where it crosses the line is when it is used to shakedown everyone that is in the same group as the suspected baddies. While the article doesn't state it, I am very inclined to think that the students subjected to this treatment were wearing gang associated colors. While, the case can be made that colors are a fashion statement, the wrong colors in gang territory will get you killed.

The reason for the segregation by race in this instance, I'm quite sure, was to insure everyone's safety if they had members of opposing gangs detained in the same room at the same time while looking for weapons.

I believe that most schools are already under an informed consent arrangement that states students and their belongings are subject to search at any time and under any circumstances.

10. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

If you're looking for a potato, why look in the onion drawer?

Or... How about going to Maaco for that new computer you've always wanted! =D

Racial profiling. <small>HMPH</small> :rolleyes:

I had an email that I thought I had saved about how if you're looking for terrorists, you have to look at 25-35 year old Middle Eastern or Muslim looking men... not Minnie Pearl or Rodney Dangerfield look alikes.

If a crime's committed and it fits the profile of a certain gang... family... sect... cult... and yes... race... I see no problem with this "<i>racial profiling</i>". It should be called "<i>Criminal Profiling</i>", because that's all it really is, isn't it?

But <b><i>NOOOOOO</b>oooooooo</i>... Get the ACLU and a few fanatic Liberals involved and it's some kinda f:friggin:in' racist conspiracy by the United States Government or your local police department. :rolleyes: