1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School budget increase - in exchange for student's personal info.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/12/03/recruiting.high.schools.ap/index.html

According to the above article, the US government has passed a bill that increases the education budget - in exchange for highschools providing contact information for all juniors and seniors to military recruiters.

Lots of people are pissed about this, saying it's an invasion of students' privacy. However, I don't really see much of a difference between now and when I went to highschool (10 years ago). My school had JROTC, and recruiters were routinely on campus passing out info, etc. I even received a bunch of information in the mail shortly after I graduated - information I never requested, which leads me to believe my school had given recruiters my contact information.

Your thoughts?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What information do they seek? If it's name, address, and phone number, the Selective Service has been doing that for years.

If it's if you are a homosexual, or blood type, or allergies, etc... There's room for a lot of abuse and THAT personal information should remain private.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Yeah, I don't understand all the hoopla, either, Ethics, given that Selective Service has required registration for years. Seems like the military would already know.

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

There is a difference between selective service and schools mandatory handing over of information.

1. Females are currently not required to register with selective service. This law requires ALL students, not just males.

2. Selective Service requires you register by age 18. When I graduated highschool, I was 17 and recruiters were actively trying to get me to sign up for the military, even though I was a minor. This law requires all juniors and seniors in highschool to have their information passed along to recruiters - these are minors.

3. This law sort of takes away the choice a person has to sign up for selective service. Sure it's law, but if you don't want to register, you don't. You don't get school loans and a whole bunch of other things, but at least you chose whether you wanted to register.

4. Selective service is not the same as a recruiter knocking on your door and mailing you information about the army, navy, marines, etc.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

My opinion on this would depend on the actual information that is being provided. I find it very hard to believe that it is just basics such as name, address and phone number. Recruiters had no problems getting that information about me, family members and all of my friends. I am willing to bet that they want to know much more.

6. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I don't think there's much harm in it. Considering how many kids are out there, that at that age, don't even know what they want to do after high school, it actually might be a good thing.

The military has a lot to offer these days. Ok right now we're in a situation and those who sign up might be called on to fight for our country. That makes people not want to rush to sign up, and some want to sign up even faster. Those who do sign up have a chance at an education that they might never have had. They even had a deal not too long ago with the Army, that if you signed up to serve with them, that they would pay for 2 years of college that you could do before entering the service.

In a time of war, this day and age where things are relatively safer for those who serve then they were years ago, the benifits for those who serve during war or however they put it, get a lot of benifits too don't they? I think it's good to let kids know all the options.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Besides, I distinctly recall, in high school, having to fill out some forms with some basic information, that verified we lived in the district, so the school could file for federal school funds.

It's not very difficult for just about anyone to get information on pretty much an entire student body, if you have time and a little money. One yearbook, one phone directory, a slew of local phone calls, and you can speak with, I'd estimate, a good 85% of the students in a high school.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I honestly think that if women preach equality, it's about time they are included in the Selective Service registration. With the amount of women going in to services these days anyway, perhaps we should look in to this.

Conclusion: I don't have a problem with collecting info on women as well as men.

So they get the information one year earlier for those that are 17. It's not like they will draft them or anything at 17.

Nonsense. This isn't a choice, it's the law, and people do not do it for the sake of laws.

I'd rather get that than the crap I get these days from everyone else.

Again, my only problem with this is what TYPE of information is collected, not with the points you have provided.

9. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The article mentions that parents can opt-out by returning an appropriate form to the school.

'The Boston school system, which has 7,500 juniors and seniors, included the opt-out notice in a take-home student handbook, but fewer than a dozen parents opted out.'

Seems like a case of people not reading everything sent to them.

Reminds me of people who get burned when insurance companies change their homeowners policies. The insurance industry calls those policies the least read best sellers. People think they have full replacement coverage and are shocked to find that they don't when they file a claim. Companies routinely ammend policies.

You have to read *everything* sent you. Yes, it's a big pain. The consequences of not doing so can be far greater.

10. mikeky

mikeky Member

All I see happening is the schools provide contact information so recruiters can send information and contact students, unless the parents opt out, which they can. In addition, recruiters now have the same privilege to present their case to students on campus as businesses, colleges, etc., have without the possibility of irrational exclusion as has evidently been the case at some schools. As the recruiter said in the article, giving out pencils isn't brainwashing.

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I have no problem with the military coming to my school with pamphlets and stuff. The Air Force came to my school with a race car, the army came and gave out a bunch of free stuff to everyone. It works too. There are some kids who after they came seriously began thinking about a military career. However I did not give them my mailing address. I don't need more junk mail thank you...