1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saying goodbye to RFK

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 7, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I get America wasn't perfect, I get we still had civil rights issues, equality issues, etc... Looking at these photos, however, I'm reminded just how different this country used to be from what it is today.

RFK’s Funeral Train, in Photos - The Atlantic

Allene likes this.
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

I was very much for RFK in 1968. I watched his late-night victory speech on TV from the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles after his victory in the California Primary that all but guaranteed his victory at the convention. He would have beaten Nixon in the Presidential Election--easily. He concluded his speech on TV saying words to the effect it's on to Chicago and let's win there and then he began to leave the lectern. I turned off the TV and went to bed. I didn't get up until noon the next day and turned on the TV. Shock and disbelief seem inadequate. It was like, "They must be making this up."

JFK assassination
    RFK assassination
    9/11

Three events that stand completely apart and alone in my entire life's experience.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I agree with those three events. I would add the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was 14 and vividly remember waiting to hear somebody was shooting nukes.

Arc likes this.
  4. ethics

Two things.
    1. Thanks for sharing that.
    2. God, you guys are old. ;)

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

Yeah, I was 15 or 16 and that was one of those things that you simply had to "be there" to get it. Most people alive today have no idea what it is like to have a genuine fear that there was a definite no qualification threat that a nuke attack was a very real possibility. I think that being 15 mitigated some fear or my perspective although I was definitely worried. I wonder how I would have felt if I were 10 years older. Meanwhile, lots of people were spending big money for the construction of underground bomb shelters in their backyard.

When JFK was killed I was in military training. We were isolated with no news or communication, (no TV or radios allowed.) Rumors were swirling everywhere. One was that China was making a military move against the US and the USSR was doing something. For all, we knew, that all was true. That night the air raid siren went off. We all were instructed with urgency to get under our bunks. Sheer terror man. In our ignorance, we were facing the possibility that a nuke was inbound and we were about to be vaporized. I very seldom think of that since then but when the topic comes up I sure remember it quite vividly.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    ethics likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

People could vote back then for their chosen candidate without ending up in what amounts to a public shaming session.

ethics likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

The JFK assassination had a lasting effect on me. I was 20 then and at university. I remember thinking "What is the world coming to?" I was 19 during the Cuban Missile Crisis. It made me very nervous. Although I was sad about JFK's death, it was a couple of months after MLK's assassination, so it didn't hit me as bad. 9/11 was horrible! I don't think I ever got over it.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I meant to say "sad about RFK's death" I couldn't get Edit to open.

10. ethics

Same.
    "Oh Leon you should see the memorial, go down there!"
    "Fuck you, I worked on 103rd, I lost good friends there, it's a fucking gravesite for almost 3000 people and I don't care how you want to camouflage it".

Allene likes this.
  11. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I have a few moments that stand out in my life as well.

Apollo 11 (my father woke me up to see this)
    Kent State (I lived 8 miles from there and a Cousin was attending classes there that day)
    Nixon Resigning (my father made me watch this)
    9/11 as well.

Allene likes this.