1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santa Banned in Australia???

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mrRT, Dec 3, 2002.

1. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Didn't know where to post this one so it landed here.

I saw this on the news this AM and thought you folks might find it interesting. Apparently as this story shows, Santa has been banned in one of the Brisbane Child care centers.

"Some of the parents are not happy about not having Santa or Christmas decorations but we are trying to meet the needs of all the children."

It sure looks like in the never ending quest for political correctness....They've taken this one a bit too far...

I know what Santa will be bringing those folks this Christmas...

HOHOHO

...hmmmmm...

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I don't see the big fuss over a fictional character...

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

(I'm not sure why a story about Australia belongs in the "Americas" forum, but I'm happy to debate it anyway! ;) )
    I'd be very happy to see Santa gone from public child care centers.
    Santa is fine for Christian children, or for Christian schools, but he's got no place whatsoever in schools that are supposed to be welcoming to children of all faiths and backgrounds.
    It's not particularly offensive (although I notice that the Prime Minister of Australia is also quoted as supporting nativity scenes), but it's also totally unnecessary and unimportant.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

While normally I side with people trying to separate church and state, I don't think Santa really fits in with any church. Santa is just one of many secular aspects of the Christmas holiday, and I don't see why anyone would be offended by it. Santa Clause is just an example of American culture which has nothing to do with religion. He is completely fictional, and nobody 'believes' in him(well except for children, of course).

If they want to exclude Santa, they have every right. However, I don't see the big deal. And certainly, if a child wants to draw a picture of Santa or wear a teeshirt with Santa on it, I would hope that that would be permitted.

Wasn't there a similar story from last Christmas in Maryland where some town ended a long tradition of having Santa at their parade? I believe it was done in the name of tolerance? Santa is neither God nor Jesus, and there is nothing Christian about him. I think some people take tolerance too far.

5. joseftu

I don't know, rredline. Santa may not be Christian, but he sure as hell isn't Jewish. And he's not just plain American, either, unless you define "just plain American" as "celebrating Christmas."
    Christmas is Christmas. It's not secular, it's not universal, it's not American. It's Christian. Every atheist (or agnostic or humanist) I've ever met who sees nothing wrong with Christmas is an atheist who started out, whose family history and traditions and culture began, as some species of Christian. For those of us who have no connection or love (respect, sure, but as outsiders) for Christianity, Christmas is <b>not</b> secular.
    Santa's a Christmas guy. Even his name, if I'm not mistaken, means "Saint."
    I'm not going to do a google search for his origins, but I'll bet a fortune they're pretty darn religious.
    Even the whole fictional Santa story, the way it's told to children right here and now, is a Christmas story through and through. There's no place for non-Christians in the Santa zone.
    If you want to have Santa, if you like it, great. Like I said, he's not particularly offensive. (Except for that "bowl-full of jelly" business ;) ). But he's not welcoming or welcome to non-Christians, either.

6. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

Santa Claus, as he is seen today, is probably 25% the extension of the Christian St. Nick legend to 75% an extension of capitalism run rampant.
    I have never been religious. I have always celebrated Christmas. As I am sure do most people in Australia. Children love Santa Claus, and he really is not religious. It is not "Ho Ho Ho, praise Jesus", it is not "he brings presents to those who went to Church".
    Also, the real St. Nick, is interesting because the legend was that he gave to all poor children. Not all Christian children, but all poor children.
    A nativity scene, is deeply religious. It is directly linked to the birth of Christ. Although the date of Christmas has nothing to do with historical accuracy, but more to do with over-riding a pagan holiday. Santa, at heart, is a guy who makes Children happy.
    I think the important line in that article is this...
    An Islamic Community Council spokesman said Santa and other western Christmas traditions were not offensive to Muslims.
    "There's no issue with (Santa) at all," he said.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Why ban him? I think political correctness is something the kids just might not be concerned with here.
    This thread could well lead to a discussion on why should the host country change a centuries old tradition for a minority group of immigrants but thats getting of topic a bit.
    Santa is a fun thing for kids for crying out loud. This reminds me of the nonsense that was going on about Noddy and Big Ears having homosexual overtones years ago. Come on Brisbane, lighten up. No one is trying to shove anything down anyone's throat here are they. If my children were deprived from seeing Santa at the school Xmas show or wherever it was for the reasons given above, I'd be annoyed. The logical extension of this is to ban Xmas because it may offend a minority group.
    I am certainly not advocating the adoption of Christian traditons by Muslims but this is taking things too far.

8. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

People are too PC these days, and thereby are willing to ruin a day of joy for the kids. It's really sad to see this.

9. joseftu

No one's ruining anything. Let the kids have their Santa.
    At home! Where it belongs!

10. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

to 75% an extension of capitalism run rampant...

I have learnt operas whose scores were less intricate and certainly shorter than my daughter's christmas wish list.

I were prefer at this point a Santa to deal with that than a god to save my immortal soul!

Plus, we had no goose on St Martin's day this year.

-M