1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Galaxy 7 looks great! But................

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

One has to wonder about what kind of underhanded, shady deal was done with the carriers.

Review: Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge -- the new phones to beat

(Emphasis mine)

This is the very first time I've considered buying a flagship phone outright, and there's not going to be an unlocked model?

Something smells and it's not the dog's farts.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Got three mobile and one home line with Verizon. Been buying outright and by June will be out of contract. Probably not move real quick but nice to know we can.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Note 4 was my last Samsung. Will never buy that PoS company's phone ever again. Korean maker but builts like 1990's Taiwan.

4. ShinyTop

Ouch, have not had a Samsung in forever but my new S7 Edge should arrive by Friday.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

I didn't realize that manufactures locked phones. Good to know.

I always thought it was at the request of or by the carrier. For instance about a month ago just explored the idea of switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. In researching phone capabilities between carriers it was stated that all Verizon phones, as of a month ago, are sold unlocked.

6. ShinyTop

Unlocked does not always mean you can take your phone to another carrier. Each carrier is either CDMA or GSM. Now that we have all using LTE one would think it would mean less but it does not. You still have bands that include numbers (usually freqs) and letters. So even though Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA carriers it does not mean all features will work on both. When you buy an unlocked phone from Amzaon they are usually limited to ATT and Tmobile. With the exception of the Nexus. Most Nexus phones will work with any carrier based on the SIM put in the phone.

7. ShinyTop

Nexus phones are also "pure android" so they have less bloatware than other phones. Samsung has Touchwiz, LG has its own skin as does HTC and other carriers. Some of the added apps or other features are liked by some and loathed by others. The kicker is that the damn carriers and/or manufacturers will not let you delete them to make more room in the storage on your phone. You can disable them so they are not using other resources but you cannot delete them. That will be changed eventually but we are not there yet. You have to realize that carriers make money from the apps they bundle as bloatware. I am sure Verizon gets some money from the NFL app or from Google when they bundle Chrome and won't allow the Samsung browser on their S7 Edge. You get choice of manufacturer and of carrier but must live with the limitation each impose. You can root your phone, I did for years, but in the end I found it was a hobby I grew tired of so I just used what is offered.

8. ethics

Samsung's hardware is great. Samsung's Hardware plus Google's OS is what made me lose it. After 4-6 months of phone usage, you will start seeing issues. They are small, but they add up.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Here's a little tidbit that you and others may or may not know. Despite Sprint and Verizon both using CDMA phones neither will accept or permit phones from the other on their network. If you want to switch you need a new phone.

Nice, huh? Wonder why the "hate?" Me too.

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I thought I was imagining things when I felt the same way about my S3 and S5.

What are you using these days? I like the looks of the LG v10, but I've also thought about going to a dumber phone, like a flip phone, if you can find them. I've got a tablet, so do I really need a super-powered phone?

ethics likes this.
  11. ethics

I went back to the iPhone. IF I didn't have that option, I have good feedback from people in the LG land. G5 vs S7 is very comparable on the specs, but few things stand out for me.

1, Samsung didn't have an option of expandable storage with S6 but had it prior. They are the type of company that does things for the bottom line more than any others (internal storage is more expensive). But with a massive sales plummet, they brought it back with S7. Keep in mind there are still issues with using apps when you port it over to the storage cards. But having a TB worth of space for px and videos is awesome.

2. That massive SAMSUNG lettering has not gone away.
    3. Whenever there is a big issue with something -- Note 4 had issues with GPS. Was almost unusable to use as car nav). Even when there are thousands of posts about it from people, they still were in denial that it was a HW issue.
    4. Samsung's internal apps -- locked or unlocked -- are more buggy. LG doesn't want to "dirty" their phones with apps that are not necessary.

Of course LG still puts their own stuff in there (the cleanest phone is still the Nexus) but no where near as much as Sammmy.

cmhbob likes this.
  12. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

One of my biggest beefs with the "flagship" phones is they're not dustproof or waterproof. It's the main reason I got the Sony M4 Aqua. With the amount of time I spend with the dogs outside, I needed something that's impervious to being outdoors all the time. Dust and gunk is what killed the Firefox phone. LOL

The S7 is the first "flagship" that I've seen that has the same specs as my Sony as far as being "dog proof". It's a pity the other companies don't do something similar. I'd love to get a Nexus, but again, as it's not dustproof or waterproof, I won't be snagging one anytime soon.

13. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

One of the kids' friends somehow convinced his parents to get him an S7 (kid is prone to breaking phones). I will say that the slo-mo on the camera is nothing short of amazing for a phone. The wraparound front screen is pretty slick too. Still think I'm done with Samsung though.

ethics likes this.