1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same Sex Marriages

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

An article in today's <a href="http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20030128/wegal0128/Front/homeBN/breakingnews" target="blank">Globe and Mail</a> reports on consultations being held by the parliamentary Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights regarding same sex marriages and whether they should be granted the same legal status as conventional marriages. As this is something I haven't really given much thought on, and don't have an opinion one way or the other right now, I'm curious as to what some of your views are on this topic. Should same sex marriages be granted the same legal status as conventional marriages?

2. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

You'd have to start with what do you consider a marriage should be? Then add to that, the legalities that would entail. Then add to that whether it should matter whether you're the man or the woman in the marriage. Then add to that whether it should matter if you're married to a same sex partner or not.

My view is that, marriage is a promise. If the promise is kept or not is another issue. To me, anyone should have a right to enter into that promise, and should agree on the responsibilites/priviledges that marriage means.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

When I had my heart attack The Valkyre was allowed 24/7 access to me -- "visiting hours" are for mere relatives. She is the one who gets to say "Pull the Plug!" Knowing that I will never be kept 'alive' on life support against my wishes is something that I find very comforting.

I have no reason to deny this to another couple simply because they are of the same sex.

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

My sister has been married for about ten years now. It is not legal here yet I dont think but in time it will be. They seem quite happy.

5. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Same-sex marriages are marriages. They should be seen as such under law. Paladin's example is just one of many.
    If people are willing, if they feel the commitment, if they make the promise, the law should recognize that their relationship is important and powerful, and they're not just friends or roommates or lovers.

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I have no problem with same-sex marriages. Whatever makes the couple involved happy, for happiness is so very difficult to find in life these days.

That said, I believe that if the marriage is made legal, then all the rights bestowed upon a heterosexual marriage should extend to them as well. As said above, a marriage is a marriage.

However, in most places same-sex marriages are not legal, so the partners must truly cover their bases with living wills, powers of attorney (medical and otherwise), iron-clad last wills, and absolutely clear and specific documentation of any joint assets. If either partner is the custodial parent of a child, that child must also be provided for, and instructions left for his or her care. In addition, "divorces" can also occur, and provision would have to be made for division of assets should the unthinkable happen...

Some companies are beginning to recognize the relationships with the extension of benefits, such as insurance, to "significant others," although normally only to same-sex couples as they figure "conventional" couples can marry and thereby qualify for the benefits.

The recognition is long overdue in my opinion...

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I see no reason to deny basic rights afforded current marriages to men or women wishing to marry the same sex. Better do it quick cuz the pres will head it off down the road if he makes a second term.

8. Biker

Shiny, this is in Canada. The courts have already made some rulings that have made some inroads with this subject, and there are many companies that are beginning to recognize this as well.

I really don't have any strong feelings one way or the other with this, so I guess I'd have to say "go for it".

9. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

10. Biker

Yes, I'm sure they do that as well, just as heterosexual couples tend to.

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

12. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

Before they allow same sex marriages they need to sit down, and work out the laws regarding it. As Coot showed above it could really lead to allot of problems where children are concerned.

13. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'm neutral on the idea of sanctioning a marriage from a religious / spiritual approach. I don't see where the Christian religions really should permit it, don't know where the other major religions stand on it. After all, a marriage has its roots in religious ritual.

From a government aspect, I think that if the major religions don't sanction marriage for gays, then a similar ritual, or partnership, or call it whatever you want, should allow gays all status of a married couple in the eyes of the law.

14. IamZed

IamZed ...

He He. My sister wanted me to donate sperm so her wife could get pregnant. I am fixed for one thing so that would be difficult. The more I thought about it the worse an idea it became. I disappointed her and refused. I chose not to have children and no offense to my sister but if I am to have one I would like it to have a normal childhood.

15. Domh

Domh Full Member

Being from Vermont, where some sex marriages - called civil unions - are legal, Ive thought this through a bit.

I think its patently inane to disallow partners the same civil rights and priveleges as those who have 'married', which is nothing more than a judeo-christian ceremony. Seperation of church and state anybody? No, Im sorry, your commitement to who you choose to be with just doesnt cut it unless its sanctified by the pastor.

:rolleyes:

Sex of the individuals is immaterial. If 2 people want to cohabitate then they should be allowed the same affordances as those who cohabitate 'traditionally'.

16. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Agreed. My partner and I have had to go to some effort to ensure that, or he will have visitation authority in health emergencies, and the ability to make those critical medical decisions. Our Wills have been specifically written to include power of attorney, health care directives, who handles what, and who gets what. I would strongly urge all folks gay or straight, that are in a living together/committed long term relationship, to have these legal documents prepared for yourselves. While same sex marriages may not yet be recognized, allowed, or whatever else deemed non- legal, this step we took is legal under law, and binding.

17. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Coot -- I agree that the story in the first link is an outrage, but I disagree that this has any bearing on gay marriage issues. The couple could have been heterosexual, and the poor bastard who donated the sperm could still have been sued, apparently based on him being the biological father. Sounds to me like the paternity laws in Sweden need some tweaking.

18. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Cor,

The fact is, in that article it was a lesbian couple. I only point that out because it is just the tip of a larger looming iceberg. Paternity fraud is rampant in this country, and as paternity laws are state laws and not federal laws, the disparity in the application of these laws is widespread. I would not assume for a minute that it would not, could not or has not happened in this country. Washington state is probably the worst at perpetrating paternity fraud. I would only submit that the laws governing this be straightened out before providing full marital benefits to all unions as the potential for abuse would only grow.

19. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Sounds like a whole lot more than simple paternity laws need tweaking (although I fully agree that the donor should not be the one required to support the child)...

20. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Marriage is a religeous bond. I'd rather see that 'legal' marriages be eliminated altogether than see 'same sex' marriages be legalized. I think when you see that over fifty percent of marriages end in divorce there probably isn't a whole lot of reason to keep it around as a legal standing. Hell it takes some couples longer to get divorced then they were actually married for. Oh well, this is my 2 cents.