1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddam should have better things to do with his time

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I don't get it - if Iraq has this much oil, with so many gushers to be drilled, why would Saddam want to invade Kuwait? I'm sure he wants more power, since that's the natural course of career development and all that, but surely he can be a bigger man in easier ways, like building his country into a powerful industrial state like Japan or South Korea.

Iraq and Oil

edit: fixed link

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

For for God's sakes, Stanley...when are you gonna learn how to post a link? :haha:

SM

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That site he uses has weird coding and stuff. :)

Stanley, I thought he just apologized for the invasion of Kuwait and reading the article, I didn't see him wanting to go back to it?

By the way, if no one has read that piece, please do, it's one of the better reporting I've seen on this topic.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Part of the problem Iraq had with Kuwait, was caused by the Kuwait using slant drilling technology to reach Iraqi Oil.

5. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

That's true - though it's more to save his nice, tender round behind than any sense of remorse (but I'm a cynic). And that doesn't answer the question - why would he go on the warpath when he can be the head of an industrial power? Surely the Iraqi version of South Korea would give him more power than invading Iran, and, if he was to develop his oilfields instead of stealing Kuwait's, he could get more with less hassle. And, if he really wanted to play Patton, why not invade Syria? That would put him in the good books of the West, who would reward him with technology and stuff.

6. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

Very interesting reading. I have long believed that the reason for the United States getting involved in any action in the Middle East and Far East is because of vast quantities of oil.

7. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Sure oil is a factor; but we're not talking about the US; we're talking about Saddam Hussein, and, since he has the oil, he should not take other people's oil, he should develop the enormous potential inherent in his country. And, don't forget, the Arabs had an entrepreneurial culture - look at how successful these businessmen are in North America.