1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddam getting ready to run?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Interesting, if true.

Excerpts:

Saddam pays Gaddafi $3 billion to give his family safe haven in Libya
    By Michael Evans, Defence Editor

SADDAM HUSSEIN has made secret plans for his family and leading members of his regime to be given political asylum in Libya in the event of a war with America or a successful internal coup in Baghdad.

The extraordinary steps taken by the Iraqi leader to provide an exit strategy for key relatives and associates, which includes paying $3.5 billion (2.3 billion) into Libyan banks, provide the first evidence that Saddam is now facing up to the prospect of being toppled from power.

Full story at:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-481908,00.html

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

This one doesn't surprise me in the least. What I find amusing is that the article assumes that Saddam would stay until the bitter end. I think it far more likely that he'd join his family in Libya.

3. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Maybe Saddam just had a neglected childhood. Instead of blowing him up, maybe we should try and rehabilitate him. :_

On a serious note, three billion or three trillion dollars will make no difference at all when the time comes for that desert rat bastard to take his bitter pill.

Gaddafi doesn't have the balls to hide Saddam. He has felt our anger before...and remembers it well.

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

He surely wont be safe there. Just prolong the inevitable for a while perhaps. Gadaffi has been quiet hasn't he. I'd love to see him take the money and then prevent Saddam's plane from landing.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's exactly what Saddam would do if the tables were reversed. Anyone want to oppose that? :)

6. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Oh, Saddam must be aware the Ghaddafi might double-cross him, so he's probably taken safeguards to ensure that the Libyan leader would have incentive to keep his word - probably something like giving Ghadaffi a deposit, with the rest payable when he arrives, or something like that.

Of course, when Saddam does arrive, Ghaddafi could still double-cross him - turn him over to the Americans for a reward - so it would be interesting to see what Saddam would do to prevent that.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oh I am sure Saddam is no fool, but I think Qaddafi has an upper hand here and no matter the safeguards, Saddam would be at the mercy of the "Colonel".

Outside of Libya, what other legitimate choices does Saddam have here?

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Perhaps Saddam has some undercover assasins in Libya, perhaps even working for Gaddafi, and has hinted that if anything were to happen to him or his family, something might happen to him.

That's what I would do if I were an evil ruthless dictator bent on controlling the world. I'd plant secret assasins in every single one of my neighbors, and a few overseas.