1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddam Does Very Stupid Thing with Russia

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Perry Stroika, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Perry Stroika

Perry Stroika Member

Baghdad has cancelled a huge oil contractwith Russia.

This contract happened to be one of Moscow's main reasons for opposing military action against Iraq.

Idiot.

If anyone needs help in military I will help. I still have my good Kalashnikov.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Where did you learn the news?

3. ethics

Nevermind, found this on VOA site:

Russian government sources say that Baghdad's cancellation of a huge oil contract has removed one of Moscow's main reasons for opposing military action against Iraq.
    Moscow's RIA-Novosti news agency quotes one official as saying any nation's foreign policy is guided by its own interests and that Russia's economic interests outweigh any desire to defend Saddam Hussein.
    Russia, along with France, has been one of Iraq's strongest defenders on the United Nations Security Council. Both Russian and French influence were instrumental in crafting the U.N. resolution that allows military action against Iraq only after arms inspectors conduct more searches for weapons of mass destruction and then report back to the Security Council. Thursday, Iraq's oil ministry informed three Russian oil companies it is canceling a deal for them to develop the large West Qurna oil field. Iraq's Oil Minister Amer Rasheed said Friday that the lead company, Russian oil giant Lukoil, has failed to meet its commitments under the contract.
    Meanwhile, in Iraq Friday, U.N. weapons inspectors were delayed two hours as they tried to search a disease control center. The inspectors had to use a hotline to reach Iraqi authorities for the first time since inspections resumed last month.
    Both U.N. and Iraqi officials say the delay happened because the center was a newly-declared site and officials needed to clarify procedures for marking some equipment that could have both peaceful and military uses. U.N. weapons inspectors were conducting searches for the first time on a Friday, the Muslim holy day of rest.
    In Vienna, the head of the U.N. nuclear agency says most of Iraq's declaration on nuclear weapons is old material the agency already had. Speaking to reporters Friday, Mohamed ElBaradei says only 300 out of 2400 pages appear to be new. Thursday, U.S. officials also said Iraq's lengthy weapons declaration is filled with old information, and it fails to explain what happened to chemical and biological agents that were unaccounted for when U.N. inspectors left Iraq four years ago. The Bush administration says Iraq is lying when it says it no longer has weapons of mass destruction. President Bush has threatened military action, if Iraq is found to have banned weapons. A Security Council resolution refers to unspecified "serious consequences" if Iraq is found to possess the weapons.

Some information for this report provided by AFP and Reuters.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow, this is an incredibly stupid move on behalf of the Iraqis...if Lukoil did indeed fall through on some contractual obligations, dispensing with them in this way will hardly help the Iraqis.

Let's see if the same thing happens to the French. Maybe they'll feel all saucy again and commit their 6th Infantry Division to the fight, just like last time.

SM

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The political sense I get from headlines is that Russians already aren't real fond of the radical Islamics, having battled with them in several front... Chechnya, Afghanistan... This may just be the icing on the cake.

6. ethics

It certainly just got Russia a lot closer to the US' goals, that's for sure.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Wonder if the French were in there advising Saddam on what to do -- hoping to pick up the contract themselves.

8. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

...but ze Frahnch would nevair do sumsing like zat to zair good friends. ;)

9. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Ok. I'm Iraq. For whatever reasons, I have to decide which partner I want to piss off- Russia or France.

Decisions, decisions.

Let's just say I would not want to get the Russians mad at me.

A U.S.-Russia combination is *very* bad for Iraq.

With Russia more inclined to go along or at least not complain with any action of Pres. Bush, Saadam may just have put his head in the noose and jumped off a high cliff.

What remains to be seen is how much of Iraq is attached to the end of that rope.

Mike

10. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Hey, let's face it - they've probably figured out that the US is gonna invade, so, one way or the other, they're toast (or chicken schwarma, whichever strikes your fancy). So they've probably figured out that they might as well go out with a bang. If they're gonna get wiped out, it's better to say they were outgunned a million to one instead of just a hundred thousand to one, so, when they're in the next world with their 72 virgins, they can brag to those women how they gave the finger to the whole world and lasted over a decade.

That's the perfect way to pick up chicks. :happy:

11. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

LOVE IT!