1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russia's Space Program

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 11, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/12/11/russia.decline.ap/">CNN is reporting</a> that the Russian space program has fallen on hard times and is no longer capable of launching independent missions due to budget problems.

The article touches on the fact that their annual funding is about 309 million versus the U.S. budget of 15 billion. They've also announced that they will not be meeting most of their future deliverables for the international space station.

Kinda sucks because I can't think of a better science partner in space than the Russians.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, if Lance Bass hadn't welshed on paying his way, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. :)

SM

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, this may have an even bigger impact on the ISS, as I believe they were supposed to send a second Soyuz lifeboat capsule. Without it, the crew complement on the ISS will remain at 3 and have a substantially more deleterious effect on future missions and science.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Correct Coot. But I will go even further. The world's space program has been dealt a pretty sad blow with this.

I just think the Ruskys had a lot to share with us and we could have achieved things faster and better.

I could be wrong though but...

5. Coot

I would have to concur with that. Some of the brightest and most able engineers and physicists I've worked with are Russians. Although there seems to be a 3rd level of occupation in those ranks required...the 'physigeneer', without whom there is little communication between the theoretical guys and the practical guys ;)

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Actually what will happen is probably what happened last time(and people wonder why the Space Station costs so much?) which is the US will make a big payment to the Russian Space Agency and it will go as foreign aid/payment in kind. It will still be cheaper then if we have to replace what they are suppose to be doing.

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

We could make the deficit up on condition that they send Lance Bass up and orbit him a few times around the *outside* of the Space Station while filming the whole thing for an MTV special. Space suit optional ;)

We pay extra if they include the whole damn band and that annoying manager spokseperson guy. Same option on suits.

8. Coot

Mike, you're enabling Ken to seek blood pressure medication. You've just made a very strong and sound case for eugenics ;)

9. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Without competition, our space program will suck more than it does already.

Maybe France can get going.

If so, I would welcome the "New Cold War" with a deserving nation.;)

10. jamming

jamming Banned

France just blew up an Ariaine 5, read Claires Post