1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russia's new Armata tank makes debut in parade rehearsal

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Andrey, May 5, 2015.

1. Andrey

Andrey A man who sold the world

[​IMG]
    The pioneering design potentially puts the Armata ahead of Western competition, but it is yet unclear whether the Russian weapons industries will be able to meet the ambitious production plan for the new tank.​

It resembles me soviet T-64 it was hi-tech for its time, it was much better its western rivals (the first tank in the world with combined armour and first tank in the world with autoloader capable for multitype of shells) but it became to expensive and for mass production USSR has chosen cheaper and more simple T-72.
    Time will show, but usage Armata as unified armour platform probably will decrease costs.

Russia's new Armata tank makes debut in parade rehearsal - Europe - Stripes

[​IMG]
    The Armata will be a highlight of the military parade on Saturday, the 70th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in World War II. About 200 pieces of military hardware and 16,500 troops will take part in the parade on Red Square.

Russian and some Western military experts say the Armata will surpass all Western versions. The tank is the first to have an internal armored capsule housing its three-man crew and a remotely controlled turret with an automatic weapons loading system, features that allow for increasing both the level of crew protection and the efficiency of the tank's weapons.

The Armata designers also envisage the use of the same platform for several other machines, including a heavy armored infantry vehicle, a self-propelled heavy howitzer and combat support vehicle. This would cut production costs and streamline technical support and maintenance.

2. Andrey

Andrey A man who sold the world

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nothing like taking cues from the M-1 and Merkava (read: stealing design ideas wholesale) and throwing away the good parts to make one of the stupidest tank designs to date.

3 man crew and 2 of them (including the commander) are in the hull, so much for a 360degree view of the terrain from a high vantage, and good luck waking up the auto-loader to go stand OP watch at 2am or help in fixing the track when it breaks in 3' of mud.

Biker likes this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have no opinion, as this isn't my expertise. Andy, however, was a tank commander so... I will say that the tank is becoming more and more obsolete in today's theater of war. Not in Ukraine, but one doesn't need these to conquer weak countries like that.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Fat lot of good that design will be against a 30mm depleted uranium shell. :D

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

Considering the increasing isolation of tank crew from the outside, they might as well put the crew in nice air conditioned rooms and connect them to their weaponry via satellite link. (LEO, not geosynchronous.) Or airborne relays like our EWACS.

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

LOL, I was about to say, it looks like a gen one M-1, but will be without the western command and control systems. That makes it... an up-armored T-72.

Reminds me of times Soviet pilots defected to the US with their aircraft, and all our avionics engineers could do was shake their heads at the bailing wire mentality, thinking "no wonder these guys suck."

Congrats, Andrey, on catching up to the US... in 1985. Have a great parade.

8. Copzilla

"The Armata designers also envisage the use of the same platform for several other machines, including a heavy armored infantry vehicle, a self-propelled heavy howitzer and combat support vehicle. This would cut production costs and streamline technical support and maintenance."

Oh, and... LOL. That's comedy gold right there.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tanks don't make it back to base immediately after a mission, they are designed to be out in the field for protracted time periods, it will be a tad hard to service and fuel it in battle when you are sitting in a beanbag chair in Mom's basement eating hotpockets and drinking Mountain Dew.

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

They can have rear support from crews who resupply RPG tanks that RTB. And then a fresh shift takes the tank out again for another mission.

It is clear that future wars will have an increasing degree of robotics involved.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

12. Copzilla

While the tank was stranded on the cobbled Red Square, the presenter commenting over the PA system said it was part of the training to "evacuate weaponry" and had been planned.

The tank's producer insisted that the T-14 did not break down.

"I meant to do that!" lmao

13. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They coulda called these guys for a tow...

14. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

If I remember right, the "automated loading system" for the T-64 would sometimes grab the tank commanders leg and feed it into the breach of the main weapon.

A tank is a great weapon and used properly is very effective. It must be supported by infantry else the plethora of man-carried anti-tank weaponry will make short work of said tank. In open country, it can be used to make and exploit holes in enemy lines.

In an urban or other close quarters environment where enemy infantry can easily get up on it and under the weapon systems, it's a sitting duck without support.

15. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

16. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Just curious about the auto-loader. If it auto loads an AP round and the Commander decided he wants an HE round, can it unload the AP and swap in an HE? Also have to wonder what happens if there is s misfire or loader jam , do they have access to that compartment? Or do they have to exit the tank and enter the turret compartment through another hatch.