1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian Navy sinking

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Sunday, 5 January, 2003, 21:08 GMT
    Russia's navy faces huge cutbacks

The Russian navy is to scrap one-fifth of its fleet because of a chronic shortage of funds.

Under the proposals, dozens of ships will be decommissioned to free up money to use on the navy's best vessels.

A senior Russian naval officer, Admiral Vladimir Kuroyedov, said the state simply could not afford to maintain its historic fleet.

...a decade or more of chronic under funding means that much of the fleet is now unseaworthy - more of a junkyard, as one analyst put it, than a navy.

More:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2630071.stm

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah, they have been having problems and they need to modernize. Is there still conscription in the Navy there? Maybe a smaller leaner meaner Navy is what they need.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Kursk--the Sub not the city, was a big indication

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Does anybody know of reliable sites regarding what ships remain in the Russian Navy? They had to share some ships with the Ukraine I believe so I wonder whether they have maintained their surface fleet or sub fleet or what mix they have kept. They have also sold some excellent ships to China if I am not mistaken. Their Sovremenny, Kirov, and Udaloy classes were excellent ships with good mixes of weapons.

5. claire

claire Registered User

I haven't checked but Jane'shttp://www.janes.com should have some online magazine with this info

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Shiny I will try to get back to you on that I have several articles in "Proceedings" to go through. I know they just started to refund the second of their new aircraft carriers in the construction and they have donnated a lot of time and effort to maintaining their newer ships.

7. ShinyTop

The thing about the Udaloy class was they were excellent ASW ships, close, but not equal to our Spruance class. The Chinese have received at least one of these boats which means our subs in the water between Taiwan and China are more at risk. I would suspect we would be keeping at least one of our new Sea Wolf boats in that area. Of course, a newer diesel electric in that narrow area might be more effective but we quit building them.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

The Russians announced that they are cutting their fleet to 80% of its former size. Their Aircraft Carrier Capable Yards are in the Ukraine.

This is a good source for 2001 information I think they will update soon. Also is a Source for the Chinese PLAN (Peoples' Liberation Armys' Navy).
    http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I ain't worried. The Sovs had mucho difficulty detecting our boats, so the likelihood of the Chinese doing so is roughly akin to Gloria Steinam starting a successful feminist movement in downtown Riyadh.

SM

10. ShinyTop

I would rather be happily surprised that they are as bad as we think they are than be badly surprised that they are as good as we feared.

But our sailors know by now. It is pretty easy to tell when you have been acquired.

11. ethics

The Ukraine port you are alluding to is the <a href="http://www.wws.princeton.edu/~cases/papers/ukraine.html">Black Sea Fleet port</a>.

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

LOL!

Last I checked, and its been some years, we had to make a "mistake" for either our Ohio boomers our attack subs to be detected.

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

If the Chinese are as good as we "fear," then that means they might be able to get their ships out of their respective harbors. Not betting they'll be able to get them all steered out to the engagement area, however.

SM

14. ShinyTop

Just saw this article sent to me by a friend. Looks like Russia is ditching its Typhoons, the inspiration for Hunt for Red October.

15. ethics

Don't lament yet, Shiny. They have new classes coming in to the scene. Most of it is top secret.

16. ShinyTop

I guess I am a lousy cold warrior but if the rest of your fleet is sinking it would seem you have more problems than can be solved by commissioning a new boomer or attack boat.

17. ethics

Sorry, it was meant for sarcasm. :)

18. ShinyTop

Stayed up til 3 and was not fully awake. I am not totally without humor. Sorry I missed that. :)