1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Review] RTFM then toss it over your shoulder and figure it out yourself.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Andy, May 13, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's no secret, I've become an Apple fanboi lately, but sometimes they just make me wonder wtf they are thinking.

I picked up a 5th (and last) generation Airport Extreme because I needed to extend my wifi in the house and possibly replace my current Time Capsule/Router that I'm sure is going to crap out any minute as it is ~7 years old and this model has been discontinued for 5 and they just announced they killed off the rest of their line in favor of hocking 3rd party hardware now.

Glanced over manual and found it was as easy enough as using the AirPort Utility app installed on every Mac to setup.

Plugged it in as a client on my network.

Using the AirPort Utility, I went through the steps setting it up as suggested by the wizard, a bridged client - extend my network - and got it recognized online and happy green lights, imported my MAC filter, saved config and then BAM, my whole network died and BOTH of my Apple Network devices are flashing amber lights. "No Internet"
    The WAN port is bugging out on the AirPort and chattering like mad..
    Unplug it, and my original Time Capsule router works again.

So much for "It just works" here... which honestly was a first for me with Apple.

I needed to research out on the worldwidewebs only to find these things don't WORK in bridged-extended mode, like NEVER worked, as it causes packet storms between the 2 devices and knocks things offline..

Brainstorm time, wiped it, started over but this time I configured it as a separate WiFi Network name, imported my MAC filter again and now it's humming along fine enough I could even kill off the WiFi on my Time Capsule and it will still cover every device in my house, and even outside on my entire 1 acre property.

2 hours of my day I'll never get back. :p

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am actually surprised you are an iPhone fanboi like @tke711