1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rosetta comet landing

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Three on the deck!

3. Biker

:banghead-72: I forgot all about this. GAH!

4. Sierra Mike

You didn't miss anything other than a bunch of old, gray-haired scientists shaking hands and applauding.

5. Biker

Yeah, that's what I figured when I jumped over to the live cast.

Was hoping for a bit more substance than that. So scratch my last post. Glad I missed it! :yellowlaugh:

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Joseftu and other Professors celebrating the re-election of Obama? WHAAT?

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Here's a great xkcd series of strips on the landing. Keep hitting the "forward" button.

xkcd 1446

8. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Here's a nice short film that the European Space Agency collaborated on, starring Littlefinger, er, Aidan Gillen. It was shown in October at the British Film Institute’s celebration of Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

America lands on a comet, Russia lands in Ukraine, who is progressing?

10. Sierra Mike

ESA landed the probe on the comet, not NASA.

ethics likes this.
  11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't get it..

They were able to plan out 10 years to hit an orange with a BB that they fired in the opposite direction and traveled billions of miles, but didn't take into account the probe might land in a shady spot making the solar panels useless, and now the probe went silent.

12. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

The astrophysics necessary to get the probe to the comet is very complex, but fairly straight forward.

Once they got it there, they selected a landing spot and got it to that spot.

The problem was, the thruster that was supposed to hold the probe to the surface while the harpoons fired to permanently anchor the probe was not operational when it was sent to land. Also, several years after its launch from Earth, it was determined that the method to fire the harpoons wouldn't reliably work in a vacuum.

Since the probe on the comet has the same weight as a feather on Earth, it "bounced" twice when it hit the comet, and cme to rest about a kilometer from the original landing site. The final landing site has an overhang which is what is obscuring enough of the landers solar panels to prevent it from recharging. It may charge up enough to phone home again when it gets closer to the Sun, in 6-12 months.

Being a rocket scientist, this holds some interest for me... :tongue-39:

13. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I gotta laugh..

Leave it to SCIENCE to answer one of the most famous questions posted by an Academy Award winning actress in the last 50 years..

Apparently the answer is yes, they would care if those pants had pics of hot women on them (created by a Woman, btw)

Tears of Science..

ethics likes this.