1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robinson Crusoe

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I re-read "Robinson Crusoe", recently; it's a classic I haven't visited since I was a little boy. I was quite amazed at the extent to which religion played a role in the book.

As a kid, I thought it was just a cool adventure story. I never even noticed all the religion, to be honest. As an adult, living in these times, it really stood out.

To be sure, religion can be a comfort to many people stranded on a desert island and, when Bibles are pretty much the only books on hand, it's got to influence your thinking.

I think what really made me take notice, though, was the way that religion, the belief in God, the absolute sense of certainty and right, guided Robinson Crusoe's actions. Even though he struggled with his faith, it eventually became the driving force behind most of his decisions.

Those were different times, when the book was written. I can't imagine such a pervasive presence in any modern work of literature.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Castaway with Tom Hanks brings up a superb issue with his ball Wilson.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I never saw that movie, although I'm aware of the ball :)

4. ethics

Please see it. I think it will explain the religious aspect or at the very least the superstitious aspect of life and survival. To me, it showed what a human mind would do and believe in order to survive and make each lonely day bearable.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Substitute severe chronic pain for loneliness and you also have another example for faith and religion.

I know.

Mike

6. ethics

Too true, Mike, another good example.

Slightly OT: You've been ok lately?

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

My job is but to keep the docs gainfully employed ;)

Just had the sleep study test this past Tuesday and am waiting to see the pulmonologist. Saw the podiatrist today to get casts for better fitting orthotics as I have arthritis in both feet due to congenital bone problems (other med problems I'm not allowed under the rules of civilized behavior to bore you with) aggravated by standing on my feet for so long as an x-ray tech.

He also prescribed a new NSAID med that should help as I have degenerative joint disease in the spine as well. (you really wished you asked ;) ).

No complaints though. This is normal for me. Actually, I'm doing better and hope to get busy with my computer consulting business once the contractor finishes the computer room addition. Within my limitations, of course, the extra income will be nice.

When you finish whatever you are busy with, I'd like to see the thread started on 'Strength of the Spirit' which is not really about me (I'm more of a metaphore), be used for people to discuss seeing things they normally would not see as Bruzzes mentioned. Take the time to 'Stop and smell the roses'. You know what I mean.

A hero is one of three things:

1. Someone who puts on a uniform and puts themselves in harm's way to save others.

2. An ordinary person who is suddenly faced with an extraordinary situation and prevails.

3. A funny kind of sandwich

I am not a hero.

Mike

P.S. Thanks, anyway, Coot

8. ethics

Hang in there, man. Not a day or an hour goes by when I do not think of you, Mike.

9. IamZed

IamZed ...

This was a book that was written to let us know how we would deal with the solitary life, and how that would make us befriend the first man we met. I think it was an uplifting book. He could survive by his own.

10. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I actually cried over that stupid ball. Crying over a volley ball. I am such a puss. ;)

wapu

11. ethics

Bah, you weren't alone.