1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNA, much more than messenger for DNA

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

the family of genetic material, RNA has long been the poor cousin of DNA. DNA makes up the genes, the master instructions of life, while RNA merely conveys those instructions to other parts of the cell.
    But surprising new discoveries are showing that cells contain an army of RNA snippets that do much more than act as DNA's messenger. The discoveries are helping to refine the prevailing theories of genetics or even upend them.

"It's like discovering the neutrino or something," said Dr. Gary Ruvkun, a professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School. "These things were all around us for many years," and no one was aware of them. "Now we're discovering they are all over the place," he added. "Genomes are full of them."

Full story here.

I surely hope this will get some positive results in the fight for Cancer and other diseases.

I've always wondered why something tremendous like the RNA would have just one silly and small role. Nothing to base this on, but it was just a logical conclusion.

Now, the thing that's going to be next is that there's no such thing as "junk proteins"or the matter between the genetic AGCT proteins.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Heck, at the very least, I can argue with my professor on a recent quiz that I got the RNA question wrong ;)