1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rise of Obesity

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Allene likes this.
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I think they left out the crappy advice we've gotten for years from the government, too.

I may check out the video tomorrow.

jimeez and ethics like this.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It goes beyond that. It's now politically incorrect to tell someone they're fat, overweight, etc. Heaven forbid you're accused of "fat shaming" lest you find yourself being roasted via social media. At work, the majority of customers that use the store's electric scooters are those who are morbidly obese. And lord help you if there isn't one available for them to use.

It is now socially acceptable to be overweight. And it's because the majority of Americans have grown lazy. It's far easier to hit the drive through for 2 Big Mac's than it is to get off the couch and get more active.

Allene and jimeez like this.
  4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

We vacationed at Myrtle Beach a few summers ago, I remember hanging out outside while my wife took the kids through an indoor attraction. What passed before my eyes was an unbelievable parade of obesity, in summer clothes to boot. That memory is part of my motivational toolkit to keep myself in shape.

Allene likes this.
  5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I just had this exact same experience in Nags Head this past week. Exact same. I saw people in clothes (the bikinis were the worst) they had no right wearing. Let the roasting begin, but God I can't scrub the images from my brain.

Item #6 from the article touches on this briefly, but I think in addition to the items addressed in the article we're also dealing with families who are now 2, 3, maybe 4 generations removed from "healthy" eating habits. By this I mean growing up in households that ate three meals prepared by usually a mother that consisted of a meat (more than likely raised locally and butchered by a local butcher), a bread, a fruit, and a vegetable with reasonable portions and they didn't snack in between these meals. Desserts we made at home from whole ingredients and not a bunch of processed crap.

These are learned habits that get passed on down through the generations, but they fade quickly due to so many different reasons. Once they're gone the habits are hard to get back.

Oh and let's not forget government corn subsidies. Imagine if the government subsidized fresh fruits and vegetables.....

Allene likes this.
  6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My parents grew up in the depression. So food was not to be wasted. Kids in China are starving, etc. So now we get these big portions in restaurants and it is ingrained to eat all on your plate. Not only that, it tastes good.

Funny thing, though. As I get older I find myself feeling so full if I eat a large meal that it is unpleasant for hours. So I often get to go boxes and eat the rest for my dinner or lunch the next day.

Arc and Allene like this.
  7. ethics

I'm not a fan of shaming anyone. The problem here is that you never know why someone is obese.

But I get what you're saying as far as society, Tom.

Everyone else made some good points as well.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

An observation of a 72-year-old. When I was growing up the standard of the society in my town was there were three sit-down meals a day served at home. A light breakfast, light lunch, (served at school on school days), and supper was the big meal. However, portions were reasonably sized and generally speaking there was one helping per person. That generally speaking was 90 plus percent of your daily calorie input.

There were no fast food places. Functionally, they didn't exist. No McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Del Taco, KFC, 7-11 stores and so on. Maybe one day week the family would go out for treat at a local hot dog place or a soft serve ice cream joint, ("Foster's Old Fashioned.") In other words the unlimited everywhere available food all the time 24/7 combined with kids with money in their pockets to spend at will didn't exist.

In elementary and middle-school kids that were obviously overweight were rare. Honest. If they were they were teased, because they stood out from the mainstream. It was the same in high school too but overweight was a bit more common but not grossly so.

If we waved the magic wand and all fast-food and semi-fast food places ceased to exist, as they did not exist in my years of growing up, the obesity problem that exists in the USA at the societal level would cease. Vanish. Disappear. Be done away with. And along with it 75 percent of Type II diabetes.

ethics and SixofNine like this.
  9. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

ethics likes this.
  10. ethics

That should be illegal.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Same here. Parents grew up in the depression, etc. We always end up with boxes when we eat out at a restaurant.

ethics likes this.