1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Robin Williams

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Now this sucks. 63, apparent suicide. :(

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Wow.

I had heard that he had always dealt with severe depression. It's hard to fathom, as much as people loved him.

ethics likes this.
  3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow. That's totally sad.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Robin had severe bipolar and co-occuring disorders. That meant he was self medicating on things like cocaine. Thankfully, he kicked those and stayed clean for years.

I share a lot of his qualities. I can "turn up" my bipolar to be sociable, pleasant, engaging and the life of the party. I pay for it later, when all I want to do is blow my brains out.

His highs were astronomical next to mine. His lows must have been just as devastating.

The creativity and spontaneity he displayed are classic symptoms of mania. Running around at 1000 mph, doing the least expected thing. Yeah, I've been there. It's all fun and games, until the mania wears off and the depression sets in.

I remember the interviews about him in Good Morning Vietnam. They said in the studio scenes they just turned the cameras on and let him go at it for an hour or so.

Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse. Suicide eliminates the possibility of it ever getting better.

Copzilla likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Everyone is going on about his comedy, yet he touched me most in his serious stuff, dead poets, Garp, fisher king, and somewhat ironic now ' what dreams may come' where he is trying to save his wife from hell after her suicide.
    When I heard this in chat on wildstar yesterday I immediately thought of rorschac's Pagliacci joke from Watchmen which deals with the funny clown being sad and depressed himself.

Amazing how many funny people over the years are the complete opposite on the inside and turn to this, we nearly lost Artie Lange to the same thing.

I do know this, no one will ever be able to replace him. The world definitely got less funny yesterday, forever.

Allene and ethics like this.
  7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Probably my favorite actor and comedian of all time. From funny man to serious actor, I loved pretty much everything he was ever in.

He was also often cited as one of the nicest men. From the HBO specials for the homeless to countless overseas trips for our troops, he was always giving.

On Sirius this morning I was listening to one of the comedy channels and they were interviewing some comic I had never heard of. He was recalling a story when he met Robin at a comedy cafe when he was first starting out. As Robin was about to leave, this comic walked up to him and asked him for his advice in the industry. Instead of leaving as planned, Robin asked the young comic to sit down and spent the next hour giving him advice.

That's just the kind of guy he was I guess. It's sad that the depression won out over that.

RIP Robin Williams.....thank you for the decades of laughs and joy!

ethics likes this.
  8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

9. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Andy, you have put your finger on something I've observed for years--humor being used to mask pain. Robin Williams was a more extreme example, of course, and his eyes didn't go with his humor. I always thought he had sad eyes. Yes, I loved him in Dead Poets Society too.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  11. ethics

Well said, Allene. I think this pic describes what you are saying:

[​IMG]

Allene likes this.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, exactly!

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely disgusting.

14. ethics

Personally? I think that should be illegal. But that's just me.

15. Sierra Mike

There's got to be some sort of control that could be leveraged to bring punitive charges against those assholes.

16. ethics

Facebook removed the posts (ooooh, so tough) and twitter banned the accounts. To me, that's bs.

17. Sierra Mike

I'd hand over the IP information to the FBI, myself.

Allene and ethics like this.
  18. Allene

Allene Registered User

I saw that somewhere else tonight and thought it was disgusting too.

19. Sierra Mike

20. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    ethics likes this.