1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP R. Lee Ermey

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Apr 15, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

He was a revelation in Full Metal Jacket. RIP.

R. Lee Ermey, ‘Full Metal Jacket’ Golden Globe Nominee, Dies at 74

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

A naturally gifted actor he had an incredible presence on the screen. His role in Full Metal Jacket was "nostalgia" to every male military veteran that had the experience during the Vietnam era of going through "boot camp," which was known by different names in the various services with nuances between officers and enlisted.

ShinyTop likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I didn't see that movie. For a long time after the war ended, I just couldn't watch movies about it.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He had a previous role as a Marine.

Skip to 5:00

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The only damn movie (to me) worth watching BECAUSE of the acting.

Allene and BigDeputyDog like this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'll probably watch it then!

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

If we are speaking about "Full Metal Jacket" it is a dark and provocative movie. One of those where you really love it or hate it. It is more polarizing in that regard. The overriding theme that from start to end is without regard to politics brutality from start to end. It is very violent but not gratuitously so, as it attempts to portray relevant reality. But there are two-sides or perspectives to everything and "Full Metal Jacket" although arguably accurate sticks to one perspective.

It is not a film, as well made and relevant as it is, that anyone of normalcy will immediately after watching it feel good in their gut.

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Although written about members of the Marine Corps it matched my Army experience in the states and in Vietnam. I did not take part in the fighting around Hue but that rang true also. There were some characters, usually officers, who were played a bit over the top but I guess that would be normal when told from an enlisted viewpoint.

9. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

LOL, I had forgotten about this TV commercial.

ethics likes this.
  10. Arc

Arc Full Member

I agree with you.

What I was alluding to was it accurately showed the dark and crazy side in most of its characters. It focused on the extreme. It fell short in focusing on the professional element, (the officers you mention being just one example), and on the close bond of men in combat and of the many sane clear thinking folks doing their jobs. Nevertheless, it was an excellent movie. I could guess you sum up my criticism as the film though accurate was somewhat unbalanced on the totality of areas, subjects, and people it covered.

11. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

He also appeared in Apocalypse Now and Siege at Firebase Gloria.

Several military guys at another forum had occasion to meet him over the years or hear him speak at graduations.

12. ShinyTop

I loved that commercial. Did a double take when I first saw it.

13. ShinyTop

Am watching Full Metal Jacket. Have to walk back some earlier comments about echoing my experience. In Army Basic Combat Training in 1967 the drill instructors were not allowed to strike the recruits and I don't remember them being allowed to make racist comments.

ethics likes this.
  14. Arc

Arc Full Member

While standing in formation during a PT session I was punched from behind in my kidney by the instructor. No reason. It was just hard enough to be unpleasant.

Six months later I was back at the base and I looked him up. He didn't remember that and a couple other things. He was very cordial when I showed up. Seemed pleased that a former "student" would come back and visit. He had me over to his house for a great meal prepared by his wife.

I never heard any racial remarks but there were anti-gay or more accurately slurs of gays. The line of what state are you from tied to that's where "queers" come from was used more than once on different folks.

Allene likes this.
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sounds like he was good at compartmentalizing. ;) I don't know when you were in the military, but back in the early 1990s, there was a big flap going on on at the CompuServe predecessor to the current GA over admitting gays to the military. I had no idea that gay people had distinct geographical patterns, other than San Francisco, that is.

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Are you watching the movie for the first time?

17. ShinyTop

No, I own a BluRay so have watched many times