1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He was one of those guys I could listen to read the phone book, he had a way to describe things that was quite unique.

One prophetic moment I remember on one of his food shows, he did a tour of eateries here on the Shore of many places I've been to as well, and ended up at the (now demolished) Asbury Park Howard Johnson's on the boardwalk.

It was a real dive at the time but he was there for nostalgia having visited it a lot as a kid.

He took a look around at how run down it became, but probably couldn't back out of the bit at that point on camera and stated "I'll just have a grilled cheese" then proclaimed to the camera later at the table "how hard can it be to mess up one of those?"

When he got it and took a bite and realized how awful it was, he then looked again and said "I'm so depressed right now I could kill myself", I'm sure it was 100% in jest, but it just sticks in my mind now.

He also used to have a very bent slant of the military and the administration at that time up until he did an episode in Beirut in 2006 and got caught right smack in the middle of a civil war.

When the US Marines evacuated him and the rest of his group off a beach with a landing craft, he then had nothing but praise for the military and was quite humbled at how he and the other refugees were welcomed and treated.

MemphisMark and ethics like this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good stuff, Andy.

4. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I don't watch TV unless I am at gunpoint (metaphorically, of course). I saw him once, and it was that specific episode. As I remember, he had a side of bagged potato chips with the grilled cheese, and he lamented that the chips were stale as well.

Having been at the point he was at in his last moments, I can only attribute the Direct Hand of God and His Minions as the only reason I am still here. I don't want anybody at any time to be where I have been.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm glad you are still here, Mark. Suicide is such a lonely way to go.

MemphisMark likes this.
  6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

At that moment for me, my existence was only pain. Mental, emotional and physical pain. Fear, helplessness, hopelessness and a despair so deep words cannot begin to describe it. It is so overwhelming that you see suicide as the only possible way to stop the pain. The body and spirit want to live, the pain makes suicide a viable option.

Allene likes this.