1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIM shoots itself in the head

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Forget the foot. It seems Blackberry went for the kill and shot itself in the head with the release of its new OS and phone.

So far, the majority of reviews have stuck to just the hardware and OS. Aside from the occasional rave review from a Blackberry fanboi, most have been somewhat tepid.

Then I read this today.

In addition to the convoluted process of setting up email, once you DO get it set up, BIS no longer pushes encrypted email to your device. In essence, your phone now queries the mail account and pulls in the mail. It appears BIS is relegated to the messaging service. For those devices that are on BES, the encrypted email is pushed by the server, but that won't help those that aren't using the service.

So now, the new Blackberry is really no different than the other offerings out there. And while businesses with BES might be loathe to drop the phone, there's really no reason for users to seriously look at Blackberry as a viable alternative. Especially when Apple and Android do things so much better and have hundreds of thousands of applications you can install on the device.

Had RIM kept the core services that made the phone popular, I could see the company making a rather dramatic comeback. Now? Ain't gonna happen. The company is doomed.

Well done RIM. Well done. You've given the perfect example of what not to do in a competitive world.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

While I give you that (and wasn't aware of it), Blackberry was dead before they even got started with these new phones. It's been 5 1/2 years since the first iPhone was released and Blackberry was WAY TOO slow to respond. The world had moved on with iOS and Android.

3. Biker

If they'd have hit a grand slam homerun with the new OS and phone, it's conceivable they'd have made a nice comeback. Now? They're dead.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

5. Biker

Comparing the new Blackberry to Nokia? Seriously? :laugh:

Again, every review that I've read that gushes over the phone makes absolutely no mention of the traditional services that Blackberry has been known for. Those that do include email services have ripped Blackberry to shreds over it.

6. ethics

I am not rooting for BB, I am saying they won't go quietly. Their stock was doing ok today as well so...

7. Biker

Add another nail to the Blackberry coffin.

Samsung devices using Secure-Enhanced Android were approved earlier this month.

8. ethics

The govt. would choose an inferior product.

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Given Apple's much more closed Ecosystem it makes sense from a security standpoint.

10. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

The problem with Apple is that it is much harder to capture text messages. This is important from a public information request standpoint. There are many more solutions for this for the Android and BB platforms. I'm speaking from a State and Local government perspective. I'm not sure how this impacts the FOIA on the Federal level.

BTW, the new BB seems to be doing pretty well. They may have given themselves a reprieve.

11. Biker

For flight crews, apparently the iPad is a god send. Instead of a chart bag full of maps and manuals, it's all on the iPad.

12. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

13. Biker

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have never used one, but one of my brothers is a long-time user.