1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right here in Palo Alto California

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sharondippity, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

To the "highest" bidder

PALO ALTO, Calif. (Reuters) - A California man has been arrested on federal drug charges after he allegedly sold dried opium pods to undercover federal drug agents via Internet auction site eBay (NasdaqNM:EBAY - news), U.S. prosecutors said Friday.

Quote Data provided by Reuters

Krsna Lev-Twombly, 30, on Thursday was arrested at his Sacramento, California home, after he allegedly advertised and sold 700 dried Papaver Somniferum poppy pods between July 2000 and this month, the U.S. Attorney's Office in San Francisco said in a statement.

Lev-Twombly's eBay listing allegedly contained a disclaimer that the pods were intended for decorative use only. A chemist for the Drug Enforcement Administration, however, said the pods as they were delivered to undercover agents could be steeped like tea and consumed as a controlled substance.

If convicted of distributing opium poppy, Lev-Twombly would face a maximum sentence of 20 years imprisonment and a fine of $1 million. He was released on $50,000 bond on Thursday.

EBay spokesman Kevin Pursglove said the company worked with law enforcement on the case.

"There have been a lot of folks who have found that attempting fraud on eBay does not pay," he said.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Yeah but Ebay kept that percentage of the sale, I bet.

Ebay is the devil.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

:haha:

SM

4. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

That would be East Palo Alto, right;)

While looking up Poppy under california law I came upon this:
    I'm curios as to why the seeds aren't illegal? Are these the seeds that we find on breads, and buns, or are those a different type of poppy seed? If the opium poppy seed isn't used like that, then what reason would someone have to possess them? I'm confused again, lol. Could someone enlighten me as I can't seem to find that info???