1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richard Petty: Danica can only win if no one else races

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I would imagine the other teams are most likely co-operating to ensure she doesn't win. But you do have to admit, an 8th place finish at the Daytona 500 isn't too shabby.

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Her record, including the lack of wins speaks for itself..

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

She is most definitely targeted by some who are very jealous of her deep pocket sponsors. That alone will make it tougher for her to win.

He's wrong, she CAN win. She certainly isn't scared, and she is fast enough. But they won't ever let her win, and that is part of racing. She's not ruthless enough to run them flat over. She is BANKING just from sponsors, and why risk anything by taking a few of them out? That is why Petty is popping off at the mouth. It's all about bank. Doesn't have anything to do with the race itself, else why would he say anything at all? Because the fact is that she's fast enough to be there, in the race. What does it matter to Petty if she wins or doesn't win?

I mean, look. Jeff Gordon is hated on the circuits. But he is just f***ing mean enough to plant people into the wall if they prevent him from winning. He has a ruthless way about him that is established. He HAS to do it that way. But Danica doesn't have to. She is already a very very rich woman.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

ethics likes this.
  7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The 25th place being mentioned is her overall standings in the field, not her placement in the races.

8. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I think she's talented and also judged a bit too harshly, as there are plenty of other drivers out there that have not won races. I will admit that given she drives for a top team her results have been less than spectacular.
    Anyone remember a girl called Shirley Muldowney? They didn't think she should be driving cars either, until she kicked the boys asses and packed the stands. I wish Danica had been more successful, but she did blaze the trail and I hope more ladies get an Indycar or Nascar ride, or even an F1 ride.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sure, but at least she knew how to win :p

Arc and ethics like this.
  10. Arc

Arc Full Member

Initially I was was biased toward her because she was afforded opportunities that far exceeded her abilities. She got those opportunities strictly because she was a hot looking woman that raced cars and drummed up interest in the sport.

I mean her record speaks for itself. She has been racing now professionally for about 16 or 17 years. She raced all levels including the highest levels in or open-wheel Indy Cars and in NASCAR "stock-cars." During that time she has won one race. One race in 16 plus years. (And that was in a diluted field of drivers in an Indy Car race. On that day Indy Cars had two major races at different venues so the drivers were split between the two.) She also over that period of racing won only a very small handful of poll positions in qualifying.

Eventually I came to admire her because through all of the controversial circumstances she remained professional and handled herself with class and integrity while she made all the smart business moves to gain financially from being a very attractive, smart, woman that was also famous for being a professional race car driver. One had no problems finding her endorsing many products or posing for sexy pictures.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  11. ethics

Damn Arc. Well said. But... At the end of the day, you need to win something.

12. anajames

anajames Full Member

That is what makes you a successful sports person. 16 years and 1 win =Retirement.

ethics likes this.