1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RFID Tags to be Everywhere -- A more paranoid view

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

I came across this article on the RFID tag situation, already discussed at bit in the Michellin Putting RFID Tags in EVERY Tire thread.

This article supplies different information; the author has found that eventually, just about all store items will be "tagged". Some of these tags will be the size of a grain of pepper. He takes a paranoid view of the future, including being tracked by these tags, or having computer systems connect your RFID tags to your credit card... allowing stores to know where you shop. Or even window shop.

Right now the developers are still trying to decide if the tags should be deactived at the checkout counter, or left active. Detection range with standard equipment would be about 15 feet.

An interesting item in the article -- where the author talks to a techie -- says that it would be easy to build "beefed up" RFID detectors which could pick up the tag's information at hundreds of feet.

It does say one company is designing a deactivator which will be available for home use.

I feel safer already! ;)

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think it was Coot, who said in another thread that the tags reception or "tagging" can only be a few hundred feet.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

In industry, produced goods and and work in process are often RF tagged. Items are tagged and forklift drivers routinely drive up and down aisles looking for a particular item. Inventory systems also use pre-positioned radios to pick up item locations also. In this case, the tags are much larger and typical sensing distances of 100-200 feet are achieved. These tags, are not as suitable for spying as they can be up to two inches.