1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REVIEW: Leadtek Winfast A280 (GeForce 4 Ti4200)

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Price: $155.00 (NewEgg.com)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti4200
    RAM: 128MB DDR RAM
    Ports: 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x VIVO (DVI to VGA adaptor included for up to 2 VGA connectors)
    Cables: 1x AV, 1x S-Video

Well my Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti200 died so I had to get a new graphics card. I ordered the card from NewEgg and it came in a hard to open FedEx box. After getting into a fight with it I finally liberated my treasure from the box. I then removed the shrink wrap and opened it. I pulled out the instruction manuals and CDs along with the video card. I looked at the contents card to make sure nothing was missing. Suffice to say there were all sorts of cables in different nooks and crannies of the box for the VIVO connector. After I got everything out I read the quick manual to make sure nothing would blow up if I put something in the wrong spot.

Well I took it out of the bubble shrink wrap. The card itself is a peace of art. The heatsink wraps around both the front and back of the card to insure it keeps cool and has a nice shiny, almost mirrorlike finish. However it still manages to barely not cover the PCI slot below the AGP slot. I personally would recommend leaving the PCI slot below it unoccupied to provide some breathing room for the cooler. One screw and its secured.

Well now I boot up. Everything works good so far. They have their own BIOS and initialization thing so it adds a couple seconds to boot time. You see their BIOS screen and it shows you a memory check and then you get sent off to your regular boot-up. Finally it starts up and it starts complaining about drivers and stuff. I just cancelled it out and downloaded the latest one from the Leadtek site. However for some people the NVIDIA reference drivers may be preferred. I personally am only avoiding this release of the NVIDIA reference drivers due to the Macrovision errors. They also include a WinFox utility that I personally find useless unless you want to overclock your card, but there are other utilites or a reg tweak you could use to do the same thing.

I also crown this thing the king of unneeded crap. They have more useless bundled software than anything I've ever purchased. I tried installing their WinPVR software and it doesn't work with my TV Tuner. They also include some relatively unknown games with the notable exception of Tom Clancy's Rogue Spear Black Thorn. The covers of all the instructions and stuff make it obvious that it was badly translated from whatever language they speak in Taiwan.

In conclusion the hardware is of great quality. The included cables and DVI to VGA adaptor are great if you want to connect 2 VGA monitors. However I would stay away from the instructions and software they include. Just download the latest driver from the Leadtek or NVIDIA site and don't bother with the WinFox and other included software. They also include BIOS updates on their site, however people have killed their cards when doing it from windows, so I would stick to trying that from DOS. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to upgrade their video card.

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

I have used the Leadtek Winfast cards for quite a while now. they are extremely stable cards (and quite overclockable..if that is what you desire.

They are not the super fastest in the pack, but by no means the slowest either.

I always keep the NVidia drivers updated and like the Detonator drivers best. Heres a great LINK for all the latest drivers.

Give it try and let me know how you like the card.

And like alot of the retail stuff today
    RETAIL = packed with lots-o-junk
    OEM = essentials only

Oh yeah...also replaced the cooling fan on my card.. I'll check and see which one I put on there...hehehehe

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

A local computer store up here is selling the same package for $300.00+. I told the owner I would buy if for $100 and he kicked me out of the store. :haha:

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Ouch. I like to get my stuff from NewEgg.com or Buy.com as they usually have good prices.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I have a PNY Ti4400 using 4.1.0.9 Detonator drivers and haven't had an issue yet. I'm like MrRT and look to Nvidia for new drivers on a regular basis.

I'm very happy with the card's performance and the multiple eye candy applications I've collected since installing it :)

Enjoy your new graphics card Techie !