1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[REVIEW] Heavy Rain

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Heavy Rain

You know if I was writing this, it must be something special. Either horribly bad or extremely good.
    In this case, I will sum up this game -- if I can call it that -- as one of the reviewers on 1up.com: "One of the most emotional experiences I've had playing a videogame". I am 42, I've played a lot of games, and I echo that statement. As a matter of fact, when I started playing it, it was so riveting, so movie like, the musical score, my wife just started watching me play this. Before I knew it, we were both trying to solve the mystery as the game drew us deeper and deeper in to each character and to the entire plot.

If you own a PS3, this is one of those genre changers like GTA was back in the day. I certainly hope there's more like it.

http://www.heavyrainps3.com/#/en_US/home

Let me add some reception to the game:

The UK Official PlayStation Magazine scored the game 9 out of 10, with reviewers saying, "I'm convinced it's one of the freshest, most exciting, and even important games on PS3 so far." The magazine praised the effective controls of the game, as well as the pacing of the story, which the reviewer described as key, and perfectly designed to create an "exhausting, exhilarating, and, crucially, involving" experience. He concluded by saying that, "Certainly there's nothing quite like it on PS3, or indeed any other system. Put gaming conventions aside, go in with no expectations other than this is something new and massively good-looking, and you'll be rewarded with a unique experience that lurches between genius and madness, manages to be genuinely emotional, and that you'll be bursting to talk about with your friends."[53] Eurogamer France also gave the game a score of 9 out of 10, saying, "The game from Quantic Dream has touched me, unquestionably, as a player because it symbolizes today the culmination of a genre halfway between cinema and video game that has always seemed interesting in its intentions but rarely conclusive." The reviewer concludes by saying, "A high score, therefore, to welcome risk-taking that represents this type of production today." [54]

Source (please don't read the spoilers above this entry in wikipedia)

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm put off a bit by spoilers. What is the general gist? Like maybe in 1-3 sentences?

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Heavy Rain's story is a dramatic thriller, centred around four protagonists involved with the mystery of the Origami Killer, a serial killer who uses extended periods of rainfall to drown his victims. Ethan Mars is a father who is trying to save his son from being the next victim, while investigative journalist Madison Paige, FBI profiler Norman Jayden, and private detective Scott Shelby are each trying to track down clues to the Origami Killer's identity. The player interacts with the game by performing actions highlighted on screen related to motions on the controller, and in some cases, performing a series of quick time events during fast-paced action sequences. The player's decisions and actions during the game will affect the narrative; the main characters can be killed, and certain actions may lead to different scenes and endings.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Oooohhhhh! Thank you for the precis! :)