1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Review] Age of Mythology

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Dec 25, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I finally got my hands on this game and while I didn't expect much, I got even less.

Ok, to be fair, I've only done the campaign and a few solo missions. I've finished the campaign, however, and got to play almost every side.

It's cute, it's better than AoE sets but it just falls short.

First of all, it has the same "gather round, utilize, upgrade, attack" strategy. NOTHING was done about that and the first RTS that does this successfully will make the developers billionaires.

Secondly, the cartoonish scenes are so nineties. There's nothing cutting age there, not in the animations nor the cut-scenes. It's just blah.

Thirdly, the plot is just silly. I realize this isn't supposed to be realistic with Myths and Legends, but to have Zeus openly helping you is simpleton.

The good things are few but I need to mention them. Sound and music was done nicely. The movement, the key allocation was well done. The animations of people being thrown was also kinda cool and adding animals and God powers was kick ass.

But that's about it.

ethics gives this a 2 out of 5. Save your money.

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

ethics:

I have been a loyal fan of the Age games for quite a few years now. I can honestly say that I have never played a single player campaign. I wouldn't know if they were good or not. All I play are random maps, usually multi-player.

Have you played multi-player yet? Have you spent any time playing random maps and getting a feel for the balance? I have to say that I am shocked that you've brushed this game aside the way you apparently have. I feel that it is a great game and is many times more involved than Warcraft III is. If you haven't played multi-player random maps yet, then you are really missing out on this excellent game. It is not perfect, but it is definitely worth more than 2 out of three stars. Most game critics agee.

As for your complaint about gathering, I would suggest playing a deathmatch game. You don't have to worry much about resources in that type of game.

RRed

3. ethics

Re: Re: [Review] Age of Mythology

Oh jeez, what's with the flame?

My gripe about that strategy is only applicable to RTS's (Real Time Strategy) and not Quake matches. I think the RTS formula is old and needs a revamp. I doubt it will happen but heck, I can fantasize.

As for MP, no I have not tried it. I wanted to see the playability of the first person vs. the AI, and what was added/taken away. I am not impressed, Rred, and it's only my opinion. You have every right to disagree with it but I am not changing my opinion here. :)

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: Re: [Review] Age of Mythology

ethics, I wasn't flaming you at all. You said that this Age game doesn't add anything new...it's the same old gather, build, upgrade thing. That's pretty much what all RTS games are. When I tell people how unimpressed I was with EverQuest, I don't complain that it is the same old, go out and kill monsters, level up, gain treasure thing. That's what it's supposed to do! :)

I have been playing the Age games for at least three years now, and I play mainly online with a friend. The experience is MUCH different when you are playing with human beings. I very rarely play any single player portion of the Age games. I have not even touched the AoM campaign, so if it sucks, I really wouldn't know.

Looking at only the random map aspect of it, do you still dislike it? Is there something in the balance that you don't like? Do you hate the new hero/myth unit addition? Overall, I think AoM is the best RTS game I've ever played. My main complaint is that it is very difficult to pull off a defensive strategy. Based on the hundred or so multi-player matches I've played so far, if you want to win, you must be very aggressive. Towers, fortresses and walls are about useless, in my opinion, due to the very high number of hit points that so many units now have. I would like for ESO to strengthen walls, towers and fortresses, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

5. ethics

Re: Re: Re: Re: [Review] Age of Mythology

AH! But my friend, that's my point!!! Why do they HAVE to be that way because someone invented it (Warcraft prolly--by Blizzard) and everyone went with the successful model. It doesn't mean that we should still continue with this model.

That's mainly what I mean about same old. Besides, I've complained about EQ's camps, the leveling system and other aspects of MMORPG's I despise, not just dislike.

That's because of the balance issue. At least from what I see it. Even in the solo games the Fortresses and the towers are way too weak, not as offensive as they should be and definitely lack the hitpoints.

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Review] Age of Mythology

I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this one because there isn't a very large number of people making this complaint, and I don't know why. Anytime I see someone building walls in AOM, I know that they are just wasting gold. Walls can be knocked down soooooo quickly in any age. Towers are useless because they are too weak in comparison to the huge amount of hit points that units have. I would say the same about fortresses. In the previous Age games, you didn't just run up to a castle with a handful of units and start knocking it down. In AoM, that's pretty much what I do! If towers, fortresses and walls would be beefed up a little bit, I would be happy. I still play it, of course, but I'm always on the offensive.

As for the EQ comments, keep in mind that I was just using it as a comparison. While I was turned off by EQ more than once, I have not played it in years. I'm sure it is very different from when I last gave it a try. I have been thinking about trying a new MMORPG, but I think I'm going to wait for a new one to be released so I can join everyone else in the learning aspect of the game. I have been keeping an eye on City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies. Of course, EQ 2 is slated for late next year, isn't it? What are your thoughts on those?

7. ethics

AoM: This is one of my biggest complaints and like you, I can't imagine we are in the minority on this issue.

I did a small test and sent about 22 infantry with Bronze upgrade for weapons and defense in to an enemy fortress. Now a fortress to me is supposed to be what the name implies. It's huge, has tremendous amount of HP and has very high defensive weapons.
    AoM's fortresses are anything but the above. They are weak, and aren't capable of high damage. I was able to bring it down with 7 men spared. Sorry, that's not even realistic.

I won't even go in to the towers and walls. To me, it's eye candy and nothing else.

EQ2: It is supposed to be revolutionary, combining the world of EQ today and housing of Ultima Online. You can build different kinds of houses on the landscape. There won't be any zones, so the mobs will be able to follow you pretty far. ;)

I doubt it will be ready in 2003 though, I see mid 2004 with many bugs still. EQ today is on the verge of announcing yet another expansion (rumors have it a new playable class), so I don't see EQ2 any time soon.

One game to look in to and should be available in 2003, is Shadowbane. Best site for this is <a href="http://sb.stratics.com/">here</a>.

If we get enough copies, would you--and others-- be interested in this?

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I have heard of this game, but I have yet to read up on it. Unfortunately, that site is blocked by our firewall here at work. Hey, I'm working! Actually, I am between projects here at work today, and I am the only one in my department who is here today or tomorrow. I am only working because I need the cash that I will be reimbured for my unused sick time. I had a few fender benders...you'd think someone who works at an insurance company would have lower deductibles on his vehicle.....oh well! I just want my damned car fixed because I can't stand seeing the scrapes on it. And I am sooooo close to having my credit card FINALLY paid off! Ahhh....I can't wait.

Anywho, yes, I would be very interested in grouping with fellow members. I would prefer something fresh, as I already said. I have been seriously considering EQ and DaoC, though. I'm going to call home and have my hubby turn on my computer so I can connect to it via Remote Desktop. Oh, it's so easy to get around a firewall... :)