1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reversal Possible in N.Y. Jogger Case

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Dec 5, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/breaking_news/4668381.htm

I must admit I'm shocked at this one. Given the publicity I would have thought everything would have been done right. Did the police really coerce the confessions? It would seem so since the DNA links it to someone else. Why would the four confess if innocent? I don't think I would no matter the coercion.

2. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

This obviously is a new angle being taken by the lawyers for the convicted. At least that's the way it looks. If they have confessions, then why not believe they were given under their own free will? Loophole somewhere will let them walk if they do. Some new precident must have been made recently and they're all over it now. That poor woman. I remember that case and that was just sick what was done to her :(

3. mikeky

mikeky Member

4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

This one really astounds me. At the time, I assumed and accepted that those confessions were reliable and real.
    I still can't accept that those young men (boys, then) had absolutely nothing to do with the assault.
    In fact, the medical examiner still maintains that there's no way a single assailant was responsible for all the jogger's injuries.
    But there's no evidence (other than the confessions) linking these kids to this crime.
    I've seen (small portions) of the videotape of the interrogation, and it sure didn't look like coercion or leading to me.
    But apparently it's possible to get anyone to confess to anything, even if they're totally innocent.
    And this was done <b>with</b> Miranda warnings...makes me wonder about whether it's wise to get rid of them.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I agree with Joseftu on this one. DNA match for one person is attainable and probably plausible. Those numbskulls were there, and accomplices to the crime. I've read, followed, and read more about the case.

One of the accused later raped a girl on the roof and threw her off.

Nice guys, no really. :rolleyes:

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

It is with a sense of regret and not superiority that I say as a former prosecutor that this does not surprise me and very few things arising out of legal proceedings do.

Yes, you can get people to confess even if they are innocent. You saw only what went on when the video was running and don't know what happen before the taping or the mental state of the defendants.

Miranda is an important right that should not be done away with.

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I nominate all of them for upstanding citizens of the year award. They are just misunderstood.

As for the girl that was thrown off the roof, I was living in NYC at the time. She was taken to the roof by two of the same guys who had been in the park. She was raped. They were going to throw her off the roof. She pleaded with them not to do it, saying if they let her go she would not report them. The one that threw her off said they could not take the chance. He then *kissed her and threw her off the roof*.

Oh yes, misunderstood upstanding eagle scouts here. So even if they did not do this crime (still do not buy it), how many others did they get away with?

Have I mentioned Shakespeare had it right about lawyers?

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Well if these guys were teenagers at the time this happened, it doesn't take much to scare a kid.

9. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

You're right, Misu, and there was definitely some interrogation that went on before the parents were there. And these kids were not rocket scientists, either. They were young and scared and fell for something like "tell us the truth, maybe you didn't rape her, but you helped, right? you can't go home until you tell us the truth."
    And they were definitely out in the park that night running around mugging and beating people, so they knew they were in trouble.
    But still. These kids should have been street smart, I think, if not smart. When I was a teenager, it was common knowledge that you don't admit anything to the cops, that you don't say one word without a lawyer. That was just from watching TV...I didn't even have friends who had been arrested, as these kids certainly did.
    Jedi Writer has clearly seen more than I have...