1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reservists Pay During Protecting US

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

For argument's sake:

My salary is 250,000 dollars a year, and I am a reservist.

What happens to my salary when I get called up to Iraq, for example?

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

You will not be happy. Six months seems to be the time frame I hear most. Then its over. I did the guard for six years and that was what we were led to expect.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So my company pays me up to 6 months and then it's see yah and have a nice life in the army?

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Once called uip on active duty you get paid by the US Gov't. whatever the going rate is for your rank, etc. Peanuts for most.

From your civilian job, what you might be paid while you are gone off to the military depends on your employer. Some will, I believe, pay for a little while at your regular rate. Most, I think, will not. Don't know what happens to benefits, probably also at employers discretion whether to keep health insurance for family in place, life insurance, etc.

Basically, I think you will wind up getting screwed financially.

OK, all you military guys, correct me if I am wrong. This knowledge is from ancient times, when a WWII vet friend was called back to active duty during the Korean war.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Robaire is right, I believe, but the employer can't discharge you while you're away on active duty.

SM

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmmmm... I think it varies from state to state. I know federal employees are guaranteed their job back, but I'm not sure about civilian corporations. Most will keep the spot open for an employee called to active duty, but I don't think it's required.

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From what I remember my situation could have been....

By law, you cannot be fired for getting called up.

You do not HAVE to be paid by your employer either. It sort of boils down to "How decent of a boss do I have?"

A situation local for me here in NJ was just that just after 9/11 and is still going on...

A police Officer in Ocean Twp. NJ is also a Reservist for the US Army.... he was called up within HOURS of the attack, and is STILL serving today on Colin Powell's personal security task force.

The PD he works for was going to "cut" his health insurance and pension benefits a few months ago, but under MUCH public pressure after the story got out to the Asbury Park Press, the OTPD decided otherwise.

Whenever I went on my 2 weeks, I usually had to burn up my vacation time because I could not afford to lose 2 weeks of "real world' pay even with quarters allowance and whatnot.
    And the one time I was on extended duty with NO vacation time left at my crappy job, I lost money.
    But it was still worth it though.:cool:

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Correct, Steve, unless you reup. Once you extend your tour voluntarily you have made a choice. Many companies have been known to fire their people a week after they return. Same thing would happen with two week summer camps. You would approach the state about supporting your man who lost his job and they would write a letter but do nothing to influence the employer. A reservist or guardsman deserves a lot of respect.

9. IamZed

IamZed ...

You give up smoking Shiny?

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Yup and it drove me to drink! Isn't that a nice avatar M1 made for me?