1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reserves called up

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Now reserve units are being called up, to be shipped out fast.

from REUTERS (Excerpt)

Report: U.S. Army Reserves Called Up for Iraq

Filed at 7:18 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military has put at least 275 Army Reserve units -- involving more than 10,000 soldiers -- on alert to be ready to move overseas as early as this week in preparation for a possible war with Iraq, USA Today reported Monday.

Citing Defense Department sources, the newspaper said unit commanders were ordered to be ready to move out between Jan. 10 and Feb. 15 and that Reserves in this latest call-up would likely be sent to the Persian Gulf region, joining thousands of other U.S. forces.

More:
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-iraq-usa-reserves.html

2. mike

mike mesmerized

I rec'd unofficial word last Thursday that the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force was to deploy to the region (heard this from a good source), but I still hadn't rec'd a DoD release making it official, but then I just checked the paper here this morning and read that certain "elements" of the 1st MEF are deploying from San Diego..........

So to them I say:

"Good luck, Godspeed, and good hunting!"

3. mike

mike mesmerized

The latest official reserve callups are the following as of 31 Dec 02:

658-02
    IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 31, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NATIONAL GUARD AND RESERVE MOBILIZED AS OF DECEMBER 31, 2002
    This week the Army and Marine Corps each announce an increase of reservists on active duty in support of the partial mobilization. The Air Force announces a decrease while the Navy reports no change. The net collective result is 599 more reservists than last week.

The total number of reserve personnel currently on active duty in support of the partial mobilization for the Army National Guard and Army Reserve is 29,927; Naval Reserve, 4,269; Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve, 15,005; Marine Corps Reserve, 3,856; and the Coast Guard Reserve, 759. This brings the total Reserve and National Guard on active duty to 53,816 including both units and individual augmentees.

At any given time, services may mobilize some units and individuals while demobilizing others, making it possible for these figures to either increase or decrease.

4. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Bob, this is serious. A very good friend of ours is going to Turkey on (well, all he can say) a mission related, somehow. Any ideas on why Turkey?

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Turkey is being cooperative with the US in terms of allowing "some" staging activities to occur.

If your friend is going to Turkey, I would think it is likely he will be preparing to head to Iraq.

Not definitely, but probably...

6. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

OK,,he has told me it is called operation northern watch base level functions. LOL That's the public version.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sort of DMZ op?

8. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Well, I think everyone knows that the US is going in, irregardless of what documents Iraq produces on it's WMD. No president will call up reserves and then not do anything.

I wonder when the invasion will start, and my only question is, what contingency plans the Pentagon has made about Saddam using nukes against the troops (assuming he has even one).

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Northern Watch is what protects the Kurds from Saddam ;)

Remember that this is about pressure on Iraq to comply, no troops in the region is equal to no pressure. This is a display that we are serious, not joking around, saying do this or else.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Your friend will likely be posted out of Incirlik AB, which is where the USAF has some assets that have been monitoring the Northern No-Fly Zone. They also have some AFSOC resources there, as well.

SM

11. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

very interesting. this coming weekend is drill weekend for me. i am anxious to know if we'll be involved and where. my unit was upgraded to a tier 1 deployable unit 2 years ago. so as you can imagine rumor central is working overtime. i dont even want to speculate, but i hope i get to see the birth of my 2nd daughter in a few weeks

12. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I hope you can see the birth or not even go. If you must, good luck and bring back some good war stories........you know, the ones that begin with "This ain't no shit..."

13. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

lol, i already have some of those, and unfortunatly some of them literally involve shit!!

14. mike

mike mesmerized

No. 010-03
    IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 8, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NATIONAL GUARD AND RESERVE MOBILIZED AS OF JANUARY 8, 2003
    This week the Army announces an increase of reservists on active duty in support of the partial mobilization. The Air Force and Marine Corps each announce a decrease while the Navy reports no change. The net collective result is 2,879 more reservists than last week.

At any given time, services may mobilize some units and individuals while demobilizing others, making it possible for these figures to either increase or decrease. Total number currently on active duty in support of the partial mobilization for the Army National Guard and Army Reserve is 33,969; Naval Reserve, 4,269; Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve, 14,642; Marine Corps Reserve, 3,095; and the Coast Guard Reserve, 720. This brings the total Reserve and National Guard on active duty to 56,695 including both units and individual augmentees.