1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republican Convention in 2004 is in....

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Jan 6, 2003.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

New York City, home of the evil ;) Senator Clinton and her Hubby the First Black President. Looks like it will be an interesting election if the President is going into the Lions'(Robert) Den.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Black President? Not so sure what to make of that...

SM

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

What?

Never listen to Rush Limbaugh?

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Not for many years I am happy to say.

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I remember the Dem Convention in Chicago in 1968.
    Especially the fight between Gore Vidal and William F Buckley Jr.
    More volatile than the actual riots.

Someone put in Julian Bonds name as a possible compromise candidate. At one time, I thought he might have a chance in a future election.

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Never. I avoid the far right as I do the far left.

SM

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Clinton was named that by Kwasi M' of the NAACP, when he was being introduced as a speaker there for their annual meeting.

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

The guy is hilarious at times!
    My wife is an avid listener. I usually pop in now and then.
    I'm still waiting for the Tom Daschle Show to premiere. ;)

9. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

hmm makes you wonder why the Republicans would choose to have their convention in a state they probably have no chance of carrying in the electoral college instead of choosing a huge swing state like Florida for instance.

My guess is that it's because of plans to try and make an emotional appeal about 9-11 and politicize the tragedy further to try and gain votes

maybe i'm just a cynic (and hey im and equal opportunity cynic, i'll bash a morally corrupt politician from either party), but this move seems to point too a fairly ugly election campaign next year, one party rehashing fresh wounds for their benefit, the other accusing them of doing so, instead of proposing policies to counter the shortcomings of the first...same old thing, but possibly uglier than ever.

here's to hoping i am wrong

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

New York happens to have both a Republican Mayor and a Republican Governor, who lobbied hard for the convention. I suspect the RNC hopes to make inroads here for the national party in teh next election.

Fat chance. :)

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am going to disagree with Bob and agree with Martissimo above.

I don't think that NY was a good choice for the Democrats.

12. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Not only that, but what better way to kick into high gear winning the hearts and minds of those affected by 9/11 with Long winded speeches and shouts of honor for the people of New York. Giuliani Photo Oopp's and Firemen guests.

I think it was a smart move on their part.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Of course another important factor for these sorts of things are the local amenities. The delegates may work hard at meetings but then they want to play. And New York has some of the best bars and prostitutes in the country. They are lookiing forward to the business gleefully, and Republicans generally have more money to spend than Democrats. :)

14. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Democrats have more experience in spending money like drunken sailors, mostly other peoples. That's why the call it OPM. :)