1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember Garry Powers?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by IamZed, Jan 26, 2003.

1. IamZed

IamZed ...

2. mike

mike mesmerized

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Sure I remember.

What ever happened to him once the Russians released him, though?

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

He ended up flying the news helicopter here in LA, which he died in Aug. 1, 1977.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

For years speculation has been hot and heavy that we have our next spy plane in operation. It's contrails are often described as doughnuts on a rope. Classified name is thought to be Aurora. Much speculation as to its propulsion system with much talk lingering on external combustion and pressure wave riding. Love that kind of talk!

This link is one of many discussing this possible spy plane.

6. IamZed

IamZed ...

Damn, I should read Asia more.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

It is interesting how the Aurora came to the public attention in Southern California. Some years ago during a series of test flights it was making all sorts of soncic booms. Sonic boom shockwaves as you probably know make a distinct signature reflective of the size and shape of the aircraft.

The sonic booms ceased shortly after the news stories began about them.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

So Cal is full of testing and such for weapons systems. Most residents here don't even realize that every naval and most airforce systems are tested over Southern California, from San Nicholas Island to the missile ranges in the Mojave desert. Every cruise missile is shot right over the the San Fernando Valley inland and is followed by jets to shot them down if necessary. This happens in more than one place in the U.S. and I wonder if people would be upset if they really know what happens every day. Pt. Magu Navel Air station in southern Ventura County (just north of L.A.) is the nation's main testing facility for these systems and the radar to combat them.

9. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

I must tell a funny story:

I brought a plane from the UK here, mid 70's.

I hired a car, a monstrous LIncoln, and drove from SW Texas to Dallas. I stopped to fill up, and the petrol forecourt attendant was one of those icons that one reads about but cannot believe in the flesh. I with my government Amex(novel in those days) wished to purchase the best petrol from a woman in a nightgown, hair curlers, cirgarette danglins from her mouth, as were she from central casting.

I appeared, I suspect, in an immense white and black Lincoln, wearing a bespoke uniform, and carrying a UK Amex card, as odd to her as she to me, but was dumbstruck when, after telling me she only accepted cash, looked at me, apparition that I was, and, without coyness, stated blankly, "You must be from that top-secret Air Force base, what no one knows about."

I loved Texas.
    -M

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Love that story. Uniforms are a complete question mark to most civilians. When I graduated from OCS we were required to buy a set of Army dress blues. Now these blues had shoulder boards with your rank insignia over the color for your branch. Your branch color as also on stripes bordered with gold on your sleeves and of course, a gold stripe down each leg. Now the color for signal corps is orange. So this uniform of dark blue jacket, light blue pants, was adorned with orange and gold all over it.

Now when I got home for my leave I wanted to take my girl out to eat and she persuaded me to wear my dress blues. Did not take much persuading. As I was opening the door for my girl another couple walked in and I heard the woman telling the man, "Look we could have had the doorman handle our car." Second Lietenants don't get to feel real great for long!

11. IamZed

IamZed ...

I remember the day I flew home from basic. A damn Major sat down next to me on the plane. The first time I called him sir he told he to stop that shit. I learned a lot about military life on that flight.

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

With those 15 words the woman completely and accurately summarized the reality versus the theory of security.

Great story!

Truth is stanger than fiction, and often more interesting to boot!