1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember cnet's download site?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

At one point, many moons ago, download.com was one of the places to go to find hard to find software, shareware and freeware. Then someone came up with the idea that they could bundle adware/malware with those programs and make a killing.

Today, download.com still exists, but pretty much everyone who has any idea of what's going on avoids the site like the plague. They still bundle adware/malware with the downloads. Thankfully, it's becoming increasingly rare for them to appear in a Google search.

It now appears that Sourceforge has joined the ranks of the low and foul. Not only are they placing misleading ads all over the site, they're now hijacking accounts.

Goodbye, Sourceforge!

Nmap Development: Sourceforge Hijacks the Nmap Sourceforge Account

It appears that +SourceForge took over the control of the 'GIMP for Windows'…

What happened to Sourceforge? · etix's weblog

These are some of the most downloaded programs on the Internet. And Sourceforge is banking on their popularity to rake in what I would call illicit revenue.

It's a pity. Sourceforge used to be one of the places you could download open source software without a single worry in the world. Now they, too, join the ranks of "avoid at all costs".
    Allene and ethics like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I remember Cnet's download site. I used to go there, but not any longer. Thanks for the warning about Sourceforge. I never heard of it before.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I used to always trust them. Never again.

My main computer is a Win7HP laptop and I have all the software I need.

My desktop now runs Debian Wheezy (because it's 32 bit).

I won't need Cnet any more.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Received an email this morning.

Looks like Slashdot sold out to the devil and is now part of Sourceforge. What a pity.