1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflections on Strom and Trent

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

MJy wife and I spent the Holidays in New Orleans, in the deep south. Gave me new grist for the anti-Lott mill.

New Year's Eve we went to the Fairmont Hotel for its do in the ballroom. Apparently the top place in the City -- Huey Long's hangout back in the old days. Eight people at our table. An elegantly dressed old Louisiana couple, in their mid-70s somewhere, a black couple from LA and another couple from Sacramento -- black guy and white woman. Very pleasant ppeople, intelligent, all chatted nicely, got along fine, etc.

My thoughts were -- how different than my first visit to N.O. in 1962, when such a grouping for a social occasion would have been absolutely impossible. No maajor restaurant would have seated such a group, or allowed blacks. And the guy with the white woman might have been killed if seen on the street with her.

Even on my next visit in the mid1970s, after the Public Accomodations law had been adopted by the federal government at the behest of liberals and with the opposition of such luminaries as Strom Thurmond and his allies -- tromping on States Rights, gthe right to allow blacks to be treated like crap -- the grouping would not have happened although the law now prohibited discrimination in restaurants and the like. Ways were still found to discouragte and exclude undesirable customers.

And in New Orleans there were blacks and whites, and mixed groups, in all of the bars and restaurants we visited.

Some things have changed for the better despite the efforts of the Strom Thurmonds of the old South to hold off change. And their Trent Lott type admirers, modern folks who would like to bring back the old days can go to hell.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

At least they didn't lynch you for being a Yankee. ;)

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I spent a week in Northern Idaho during Trent's travails, and the general lament was that he was being railroaded. The difference between there and Southern California blew me away. There are still many places the old ways die hard, I suppose.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

True, biker, but such a thing could have happened once, and in those good old days such things did happen from time to time.

I once spent a day in rural Louisiana riding around in a car with a few black guys, interviewing sharecroppers -- in mid-1960s. All the way we were followed by a car full of mean-looking white folks (with a couple of long guns visible.) I suspect that the only reason we were left alone was because they knew I was a fed and that the State and local law knew we were there on federal business. :)

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Robert, if it is of some comfort to you, had Strom not decided to retire, I am quite sure that the party would have pulled all support for him as the last thing they want is for him to have another public birthday party.