1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rediscovering AOL

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Misu, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I signed up for AOL this morning under the bring your own access plan, and I have to tell you, for the money, it's pretty decent. I'm in love with the radio@AOL feature, and the sessions@AOL. For a girl who probably put a small record company out of business with all the mp3 downloading that I've done, I have to say, this radio feature is pretty darned spiffy. NEVER have I heard cd-quality streaming as what AOL provides. It's pretty cool.

I haven't really used any other features yet, but I just wanted to say that I signed up and am in love with the music offerings. Very nice. Will report on more features as I use them

Anyone else using AOL? What do you think of it now?

BTW, you can now do surveys once every two weeks, and you can earn up to 9$ in credits each month towards your bill - I completed a 20 minute survey, and earned 3.75 worth of credits toward's next month's bill. I figure I'll be paying less than $10 a month for the BYOA AOL plan. Not bad.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oh God! It has gotten Misu, everyone!!! Oh the humanity!!! ;)

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Wow....I didn't think anyone was buying the BYOA AOL crap???? How bad has it slowed down your connection or computer? ;)

Seriously though, is the AOL radio thing really that much better than shoutcast and the other radio sites out there to warrant $120 a year charge?

Just curious?

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

But you do realize that since you are filling out the surveys they will soon know everything about you...

On a side note Misu has turned to the dark side. I suggest we attempt and mount a rescue mission. We're going to have to do some deprogramming to bring her back to normal...

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

An intervention is clearly dictated in this case to stop the inevitable slide into the abyss also known as AOL hell.

;)

6. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Must be the mold, it's eaten at her brain. Welp we gotta go burn her house, get the flamethrower. ROADTRIP!!!!!!

Seriously, my company uses AOL (don't laugh) for email, eventhough we don't have an @aol.com domain. We still have to have the AOL client software and screenames and the like.

I do however, like playing SLINGO on AOL. GO to keyword and put in SLINGO and do public slingo. It's like bingo with a twist. It's addictive.

My wife still has an AOL account, but I got it converted to a free account so we aren't paying AOL anymore. She uses it for her Mary Kay business.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Well right now I'm doing the 45 day trial - it's a lot different from the last time I used it, which was years and years ago. The one thing that hasn't changed is the chat - god, people who use AOL chat truly suck.

Yes a lot of people are doing the BYOA thing. AOL is actually pushing that more and more.

As far as the $$$ for the radio - not sure yet. It's really good quality, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay that much. How much is shoutcast and what do they offer?

8. ethics

I, too, would like to know what shoutcast is. I listen to radio online all the time, or NPR shows, but never heard of shoutcast.

Also, what the hell is BYOA? Bring your own ass?

9. tke711

Shoutcast is free and plays through Winamp. They offer stations for every kind of music.

There is also a program out there called streamripper that rips the songs from shoutcast and saves them as individual track mp3's on your computer.

:)

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Very close Leon, BYOA=Bring your own access.

Also for Shoutcast go to http://www.shoutcast.com (bet you never saw that one coming).

11. tke711

:haha:

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Darn it. Next thing you know Misu will tell us she is in love with Bill Gates and adores the perfect software he peddles.

13. ethics

Oooooh... Actually I like the concept of BYOA. I may even try the new CD I got with my GamePro mag last night...

MUHAHAHAHA!!!

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ahh, so then the radio stations that winamp has are shoutcast?

The ones on AOL radio are MUCH better, at least to my ear they sound a lot better.

15. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

... Bill Gates...
    :love: :love: :love: :love:

16. tke711

That would probaby make sense now that I think about it.

After all, AOL ownes Nullsoft, the maker of Winamp and Shoutcast.

17. ethics

Can one rip from AOL's player? Or does it use Winamp as well?

18. tke711

I believe that streamripper is specifically designed for the shoutcast network.

It's really pretty cool. I wanted to beef up my 80's collection, so one night I just left an 80's station going all night long with streamripper running. By morning, I had tons of new 80's songs on my hard drive. :)

19. tke711

Misu,

You may also want to check out the MusicMatch media player. They do have free radio stations and may be better quality.

Edit: They also allow you to fast forward to the next track while listening. This is an option I love!!!!

20. ctgreybeard

ctgreybeard Member

I use SBC/Yahoo and they have LaunchCast for Internet radio. It learns your preferences and plays a lot of what you say you like. Right now it's playing a Ray Charles that sounds like he was 25 when it was recorded.