1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiving notices...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cdw, Jan 29, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I'm on optonline (cable modem network) which uses norton virus protection. In addition, I also have norton on my own pc.
    I have been receiving notices (approx 25 so far) from ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange saying that a virus was detected and deleted.
    The weird thing is, it's not addressed to my email address...
    it's addressed to someone that I know is located overseas. The originator of the supposed virus ladened email (that it is referring to) is another person from the states that I haven't received an email directly from.
    I know both of the people as they are in the same business as I am, and it's possible that I am in their email address book.

Do I have to worry? And how is this thing being delivered to me if it's not addressed to me?

Edit: actually, now I see that the emails are coming from different servers telling me they detected a virus, all from one company (not me) to another company (not me), always the same companies, but different servers and never addressed to me.

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Which specific Virus is it deleting???

Alot of them look at your addressbook and attack form there...and alot stay stored in your temporary internet files.

Let me know if Norton tells you which one it is as it may require additional steps to clear form your computer.

Art

3. cdw

this is what they say...

ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange has detected virus-infected attachment(s).

Sender = big@boss.com
    Recipient(s) = williesale@memoryic.com
    Subject = Re: Document
    Scanning Time = 01/29/2003 19:35:32
    Engine/Pattern = 6.510-1002/451

Action on virus found:
    The attachment Movie_0074.mpeg.pif contains WORM_SOBIG.A virus. ScanMail has Deleted it.

Warning to recipient. ScanMail has detected a virus.

I have received up to 60 of them so far between yesterday and today.
    Neither of the email address are mine, the warnings are coming from various servers, and the address on the email they are sending them to is the williesale address, which is not mine.
    I don't understand how they are getting delivered to me if it's not addressed to me.

By the way.. thanks very much for replying!

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Well without seeing the actual email, it's probably that much harder to know what's going on. It could be that it's cc to all on that person't email and they have a virus or something? Do you have any of these emails with the attachment stripped? If so then you can look at the properties and see what's up with that. Weird one.

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Hey Cyd,

check out THIS LINK and notice about half way down the page the section that details the emails that this virus sends....EXACTLY like what you are seeing.

Here is the NORTON AV link

It has the directions on how to remove this little nasty.

And here's the REMOVAL TOOL link.

Just follow the direction in the Norton link and it should remove ok..

Any problems let me know

6. Violet1966

Also cyd...something is very obvious with your posts in the tech forum, you're antivirus is not doing what it should be doing or your security settings aren't set right. This seems to be the second virus you have gotten from what I've read on your computer in here. What edition/version of Norton's are you running on your computer? If this virus has affected your computer even though you have an antivirus running, then something isn't right somewhere.

Also run this site's test. PcPitstop. It will tell you what security holes you have and have links on how to fix them or auto fix programs that will do it for you. You might have some zones set too low or something in Outlook Express or IE that have to do with scripting.

http://www.pctuneup.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

The site isn't a spyware site. I've used it for a while and get no spam from it. You can use a fake email as long as you remember it to sign in at other times.

7. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Let me add to that Cyd,

When I checked on this one its a real new one ...I think I saw that it was included in Virus definitions dated for Jan10 this year.

So its real key to have updated definitions and to be sure to run your AV software often. I have mine set to run every nite...And it finds stuff like on a daily basis

**edit to add ***

Cyd you always get all the cool new stuff**..hehehehehe (j/k)

8. Violet1966

Yeah but it's strange though how her online email virus filter (optimum online's norton's) didn't pick up the offender when it struck? Maybe they don't update their antivirus often enough? Unless it came from a floppy/cd transfer or was sitting there all the time and the computer was never scanned before? I mean cyd...when you update this time, also run a scan with the antivirus too to see if there's anything laying around. Something just isn't right somewhere. Somehow there's a leak in security maybe?

9. cdw

:kissmy: :)

I did the download of the fix-it...of course, I had to do the right click target as trick. :)

It ran for about an hour and told me that it wasn't found on my computer....

So... ?

10. cdw

Ok, I've done what I've been asked to do, nothing's being found by any of the checkers.
    So, the only thing I can figure is that I haven't been infected, but that because I am in everyone's email address, I am also receiving all the notices that a virus has been found?
    Because of the business that I am in, a lot of it is done via email.
    I am assuming that the industry has been infected once again and I'm just getting all kinds of notices. I also got an email with a virus that is an old one that had infected the industry about 1 1/2 years ago. Norton caught it and quarrantined it.
    I'm going to go to one of the industry sites and see if there is anyone reporting the problem.

Thanks again!

11. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Excellent!!!!

Glad its not on your computer. The next thing you need to check is to make sure that your Virus definitions are up to date and run a full system scan. Since this thing is really really new make sure your updated and running the scan regularly..

And your probably right about it being on everybody elses machine. This one looks at the emails people receive and then tries to send itself back to the sender or any recepiant on their list....

another little nasty.....

good thing you got Norton runnin......

hehehehehe

;)

12. cdw

I ran the Norton scan on the system and I had nothing that was infected. I update weekly and it's set to run weekly, but I set it to run more often and will update more often too.
    I'm still getting the notices and now, I'm getting notices from all the people he had in his address book saying "you are sending out a virus, remove me from your address book". Why these people didn't just fax him is beyond me. I don't know exactly where he is, I refuse to go to his website in case somehow the virus is there, but I'm sure he's from asia. All I can think of is that he sent it out BCC which is why although it's address to him, it's sending it out everyone. So, now I'll get a bunch of these emails. If he has his address book downloaded from one of the industry services, hell, I'm gonna be getting thousands of 'em. But, at least I am clean!
    Thanks much guys. I really appreciate the help.

Violet, I'm gonna run the pc tune up thing too. The first virus I had gotten was quite a while ago before I had norton. I had McAffee at the time and it didn't pick it up for some reason.

13. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Welp as long as you are clean Cyd it should be ok.

I re-read the Norton description on it says

The W32.Sobig.A@mm worm sends itself to all the addresses it finds in the .txt, .eml, .html, .htm, .dbx, and .wab files. The email message has the following characteristics:
    Subject: The subject will be one of these:

Re: Movies
    Re: Sample
    Re: Document
    Re: Here is that sample

Attachment: The attachment will be one of these:
    Movie_0074.mpeg.pif
    Document003.pif
    Untitled1.pif
    Sample.pif

The .dbx files are from Outlook Express and the attachments it sends are shown above.

Amazing how people in the world today have so little to do that they have time to generate these things and sit back and watch what happens...

14. cdw

I'll tell 'em what happens! :)
    I'm also getting copies of all the returned mails now.
    (sigh)
    I cleaned out all kinds of programs and files that I don't use anymore, defraged and the pc appears to running quite a bit quicker. I ran that test and it said I needed memory. So, clean, clean, clean I did.

15. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

What kind of processor and how much memory do you have Cyd?

16. cdw

Configuration last tested on CPU
    Speed Memory Video
    Mode Operating System, Browser
    OEMCOMPUTER AMD K6-2, Desktop
    300 MHz 34 MB 800x600
    high color Windows 98, MSIE 6.0

I ran the test and it said I needed more memory, that I should get another hard disk and that my security on my internet connection wasn't high enough. So I increased the security, I cleaned out a lot of programs and files and shit that I don't use.

I originally bought this just to do research and such for work, I guess about 5 years ago. I now run my business off of it, so I have records that normally would not have been on here.

It said that if I am just looking to do basic email and surfing what I have is fine, if not, I should buy a new system as it would cost more to upgrade. (now there's a happy thought)

Who knows... with the various troubles I have, maybe I should just start over. I still am unable to load the pictures from the camera... I'm taking it to the shop this weekend. And I still can't download software from the net without doing the right click thing. Also there are graphics that I can't see on some of the emails that I get. If after I take it in, they can't fix it, I am seriously thinking of getting a new one.

Oh, which brings me to another question. Other than mobility, what is the difference between using a pc and a laptop? If I don't have to have all this clunky equipment around and just have a laptop that I use at the home business (and can take with me) instead, if I'm gonna buy something, I'd rather do that.

17. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Cyd,

(no disrespect intended)...You need an update bad...

What I continue to tell all my clients is that if you don't have a specific need/requirement for a laptop ...don't get one.

My main reasoning here is that you always get "more bang for the buck" with a desktop. Laptops can get expensive very quickly and usually don't come as well stocked (from a hardware perspective) as a desktop.

There are instances where a laptop is absolutely necessary. You are on the road all the time needing access, your a student carrying it around to class, living space restrictions. I mean there are alot of cases where a laptop has to be the way to go.

Entry level laptop around 800$ (and they go up in price quickly)
    Entry level Desktop around 600$

main difference Cyd is the mobility factor (and price..hehehehe)

18. cdw

Absolutely no offense taken. I am the first to admit that I am "computer challenged". :)

So, I need an update. What do I need, and should I do as they suggested, to just get a new system? And if so, what do I get?

I use the pc for business... I keep various accounting records (purchase orders/invoices/inventory lists, ect in excel), heavy email (which a lot of them are kept on file for future use for contact and inventory information), and I surf a lot on various electronic sites. I am going to be posting pictures of inventory so those files will also have to be kept.
    Other than that, I don't do great things with it. I do read an awful lot of jokes though :)

I use it everyday. I leave it on most of the time so the virus program can do it's stuff.
    I'm sure that I have a lot of unnecessary programs and crap on here.

I pull all my email in through outlook express.... my regular outlook isn't working for some reason, but am comfortable with either one. I use IE, just uninstalled netscape because I don't really use it. When I move I'll be hooked up either through cable or satellite, I have to find out what will be in the area.

That should be it. What do you suggest?

19. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Cyd,

I am just finishing up some client stuff here. Give me a few and I'll send you a PM with some basic specs and things you should look for in a new system.