1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

re-format

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by mrRT, Dec 12, 2002.

1. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

welp...its been a year already since I put this machine online..
    XP1900, 1G Ram...blah blah blah..

now the machine is starting to act up. Lots of java errors, lockup with PS7/PSP/ and Dreamweaver running together. So I think I am going to do the reformat.

I think that I am going to clean it out...backup all my stuff (man, I collect way to much stuff)...and do the re-format.

I don't like to make it a common practice for me, but thats me, and sometimes its the only way to clear up all the problems...in on shot...

[​IMG]

so its off to start the backup..

Just wondering how often, if ever do you folks re-format???
    (format is my ultimate favorite command...hehehehehe)

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I know that a re-format is often the recommended "fix" for a machine that's started acting buggy. However, I've never done one. I've always been able to pin the problems on one or more programs or situations and, in the course of figuring out what the heck the problem is, I've learned a lot.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

With 98SE, I used to do it every 3 months or so - clean out the junk and the registry, speeding up the system. It seemed to help a <i>lot.</i> Most of the time, it was easier to format even after figuring out the problem - with the added benefit of starting fresh.

Since I've started using XP Pro, I've only formatted once, in order to replace my drive; the OS was still doing great after 6 months - it was the HD that was failing! I will probably see how it goes, maybe once a year would be a good idea just to clean out the junk I accumulate... ;)

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I keep my data on a separate disk and back that information up to cd. I reinstall windows on my windows box twice a year, just to keep it robust. The linux machines on the other hand get nothing done to them until there's a new release and I deem it worth upgrading to ;)

5. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I reformat about once a year. I probably don't need to do it that often, but since I'm always tinkering with new stuff I like to "clean up" the mess every year. :)

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Sunriser13 reflects my experience. With 98 I was reformatting every 3-6 months. I installed XP in April and have had nothing happen that would start me thinking about reformatting.

7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree with you on this one. 95/98/Me need to be cleaned out every few months to keep performance up. However, I have found XP to be much better overall. I certainly don't feel the need to format and reinstall the way I did with 98.

8. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I'm still on 98se here and I like to do a reformat every 6 months no matter what os I use. I always think to myself that this need to do this is just obsessive and I've actually skipped the last 6 months and not done one. I always feel like there's a ton of garbage stored way in the back somewhere that I can't clean though and it drives me nuts. I keep saying to myself that I'm gonna ghost the drive once I get it reformatted and ready to go and then I'm gonna use an installation monitoring program to get rid of the stuff that some programs leave behind, but I never do.

Now you have me thinking that it might be time to reformat here too. I have no problems whatsoever but I feel so dirty. LOL I would reformat more if it wasn't for all the gaming stuff on this comp. It's a pain in the butt to reinstall all the modification and mapping files so I now avoid the dreaded reformat.

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've found that regular disk cleanup and defragmenting, along with careful monitoring of what is loading, by using msconfig, goes a long, long way toward improving the stability of 98SE.

10. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Yeah...I also tend to agree about the more frequent need to format when using the 98/ME series of OS'

I have Win2k on this machine and haven;t had to do a thing to it in the last year...trouble started after the kids left from their Thanksgiving visit....go figure ;)

so I think I am just goin to do it...

although I also tend to try to resolve issues too....And only use this format as a last resort...super fix-it when nothin else will...

11. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

No argument there, stevent - 98SE was a very stable system for me for the most part, right up until the point I had to start sharing my computer. But once others began using my system, I could not control what got loaded into the dark recesses, so found that regular reformat necessary.

Now that it's all mine again, the need should not arise nearly so often... ;)

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

When that machine starts to feel bloated I make a slipstream disk with the latest updates and reformat my windows. Linux I only reformatted 3 times, and only to upgrade to a new distro...

13. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

burn....delete

burn....delete

burn....delete

burn....delete

burn....delete

burn....delete

burn....delete

.....all the albums gone...heheheheh
    onto more stuff..

14. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

amen to that :).

the only time i formatted this machine was to install XP. haven't needed to since that day :).

15. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I've re-formatted about 12 times in a year with Xp.

Why?

Just for fun and because I was bored.

16. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

rofl

good a reason as any i guess :)