1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising Minimum Wage Just for Show

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am sincerely in the middle of the whole debate. On the one hand, economically, it's not something one does artificially. On the other, with the rest of economy rising up there's one downer that's sticking tight in the negative, wage growth.

Anyway, back to the post, as you may have heard McDonald's are raising their minimum wage but if you actually read what it is actually raising...

Pretty pathetic, really.

The Empty Feeling of McDonald's Pay Raise - Bloomberg View

But folks, as an aside, the fast food model is changing fast.

Losers (people buying less of)
    Burger King
    McDonalds
    Wendys
    Arbys

Winners (the new fast food)
    Chipotle
    Choppd (salads)
    Sushi places

2. ethics

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

There's an awesomely great sushi place just around the corner from the house here. They're pricey, but man oh man is their stuff gooooooooooooood!

ethics likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Interesting! "Responsibly raised pork"--LOL! I just cannot get into sushi, and this is coming from someone who will eat almost everything else except caviar and anchovies. I had to eat caviar at some of the dinners shared with Russians that we went to in Russia in 1993 (Citizen Ambassador People-to-People trip). It would have been rude not to eat it.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

These guys do a crazy roll that is out of this world.

BBQ Eel, Avocado, Cream Cheese, deep fried with Tempura and topped with a spicy mayo and eel sauce. I make an absolute pig of myself with those.

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I can blow up a hundred dollar bill in a good sushi bar. I love sushi.

I am avoiding fast food though, for certain. For lunch, Rita and I do Salada a lot, Chipotle, Jason's Deli, a Greek place here called Niko Niko's.

ethics likes this.
  7. ethics

There you go, summary of where the trend is shifting to.

8. ethics

Just to add to the conversation as to what the upper rich eat. And what IS wealth.

Let me explain: very wealthy people aren’t as interested in materialism as they used to be—they’ve already done it all. Once you have a super yacht and a Gulfstream, what else? After you’ve drank every Grand Cru Burgundy, what’s next? Health is the new wealth, and, well, the majority of the people who come to Del Posto are rich and want to live forever.

As a side note, working with multi-millionaires I can tell you that Hollywood version of the rich and how materialistic they are is hilarious. You would think these people are hoboes on the street if you saw how they dress and carry themselves.

Health is the New Wealth | Lucky Peach

Copzilla likes this.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

They're like the "old money" people in Boston when I lived there--thrifty Yankee families.

10. dsl987

dsl987 Member

ethics and Allene like this.
  11. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

As I remember, there was an organization who was somewhere pushing for a $15/hour "living wage," then advertised for a web developer... for like $10/hour.

dsl987 likes this.