1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RadioShack Joins The Rest Of Us...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 25, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

How many times did this happen to you?

You run out of batteries, or you want to re-wire a speaker for the surround sound. You go in to a RadioShack, set the batteries on the table and hear, "Name and Address please?"

I am sure most of you, like me, would be like, "Sir? Psst... Go to hell."

One small but positive step in the gradual erosion of personal privacy and increase of corporate intrusiveness - RadioShack will no longer ask for your name and address when all you want to do is buy some batteries.

News Article

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I used to give them my mother-in-law's address :thumbsup:

3. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Next, they'll ask for our name in order to purchase groceries...or auto parts...CDs...a sweater...

"I refuse to state my name on the grounds that it will identify me."

4. Domh

Domh Full Member

It got to the point where I simply smiled and said:

"No way, man."

I just wont go there anymore. The merchandise is crap.

5. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Well, duh!

Funny thing is, and I've been to my local Radio Shack many, many times, they have never once asked me for my name and address. I guess this is when having long scraggly hair and dressing like a bum pays off. :thumbsup:

6. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Name & Address please?...........

<i>Richard..........</i>

Yes.....

<i>Nixon.........</i>

address..........??? <small>looking at me with fear.........</small>

<i>1600 Pennsylvania Ave. .............</i>

? **** Thank you sir*****.........have * a * nice * day............
    <small> quickly scooting away from the register..........</small>:eek:

7. ethics

You know, Rowd, why didn't *I* think of that? I mean that, why was I so stupid as to never think of a fake name and address even if I were buying cash?

Coriolis, the bum look is certainly a good strategy and not just for RadioShack. ;)

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I've never been asked my info at Radio Shack. The only place that has asked me in the past is Best Buy's, and they've only asked for Zip Code. Weird.

9. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Except that I find I often get seated near the kitchen at the finer restaurants... :(

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Oh man you're lucky. they've been doing that info thing for like at least 10 years that I remember. It got annoying. I'd always get pissed at that question and say no.

Good move not asking. Radio shack is a fast sure thing for some wires and stuff sometimes and it's always a hassle to be asked that when you just want to pay and get out after waiting for 10 people to get waited on because the staff is generally new and don't know anything all the time, or they just are slow as shit. LOL

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Somwhere out there, there is a lawyer that is waiting to meet you...

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Attention!! This is Adm. John Poindexter soon to be appointed Chief of Snitches, Tattletales and Rats Supreme (STARS).

Ethics is obviously misguided, misinformed and subversive to boot. His re-education has already been scheduled.

We *need* your name, age, telephone number and any other very personal detail protected by the Constitution that we deem needed. This is for you own safety. We are doing this for your good, believe me we much rather be taking your taxes and just screwing off like the old days.

But this OBL clown started the ball rolling and now we're up to our necks in guys that we have to protect you from. How are we going to protect *you* from *them* if we do not know all there is to know about you?

That is the only way we can make stupid guesses on what they are going to do.

Get with the program people.

Ethics, a non-smiling man in a black suit will be over shortly with your class schedule. I strongly suggest you give him your name when he asks.

13. ethics

Shit, I knew this was too much of a good news! ;)