1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rachael Ray Is Actually a Bitch

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 8, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Never watched her but there are two types of people when it comes to Ray. Those that absolutely love her, and those that absolutely despise her.

The real question for me, however, is "is she a good COOK!?!"

Anyone watch her? Is she good?

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

There are so many anti-Ray websites out there, people really despise her.

She is not a trained chef, and that may be a part of her appeal to some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_Ray

I basicaly don't have much of an opinion on her. Doesn't move me either way.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Damned straight Rachel is a good cook! :) I've watched probably a hundred episodes (before I canceled my satellite) and not only is she a damned fine and intuitive cook, but she's a real darling! :) Of course I have no way of knowing what she's like in real life, but she has a real sweet on-screen presence and a cute personality. I wish she could be my daughter!

She's got a daytime broadcast network show now, one I've tuned across a couple times, but I'm no daytime TV watcher so I haven't had much interest in her show. I did notice she's put on a few pounds and if she doesn't watch her weight she's gonna be a real oinker a decade from now. Not my problem, she's married. :)

All I care is if she has good recipes, and she does. I'm sure I've taken notes while watching her shows, but I've never made any notation which show I'm watching so I don't know which recipes of hers I've saved. She has also taught me and her viewers many excellent techniques, and in part I attribute to her my increasing cooking intuitiveness. Keep watching her shows and you start just feeling what is right without having to follow a chemistry lab procedure.

Rachel Ray is fine in my book! If somebody doesn't like working with her, rather than talking out of school they should find a better job somewhere else. :)

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Rachel is a TV personality.

5. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

My dad loves her show, but to tell you the truth she annoys me. Especially when she says things like "delish". I hate when people use those terms or clich's.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

But her recipes are soooo delish!!! :) ;) :) ?!? !?! ;)

7. Violet1966

Yeah but to me, it's really nothing new she's doing. Now you want to learn some real authentic Italian cooking? Look up Marianne Esposito.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've watched all the great TV chefs. They're all great, wonderful to learn from, even if it's to learn what NOT to do. You hear that Bobby Flake? ;) (Actually I like him too, particularly his challenges.)

I'm trying to remember this guy who had his <i>Italiano</i> kitchen... Shit, they're all good as long as you pick and choose their advice.

Except the Frugal Gourmet after he got caught diddling small boys... Not a good role model! :)

9. Violet1966

I started off watching the Galloping Gourmet when I was little. I knew nothing about cooking then, but he was soooo freaking funny!

Yeah Frugal Gourmet. Man his controversy was shocking. I have a book of his and it's really good. Tucked away though after I heard about what he did. Sicko. :(

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Rachel Ray may be a bitch, but I'd still do her! :) Doggy style. ;)

11. Violet1966

And she'd probably yell at you for doing it wrong! One thing I got to see when I was working the concert business, was how messed up celebrities really can be. My most memorable star with an attitude problem was Moriah Carrey. The next was Dianne Carrol. I worked a Moriah taking one time. It was the big even she did at her old high school in LI. OMG she was just outright nasty and sickeningly self absorbed. One minute she does this sweet baby talk kind of thing, then the next she's got this deep voice like a drill sargent stating something is wrong and it needs to be fixed, now. It was such an ugly thing to see, and some celebrities are really affected by their status.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Let me ask the question, should we as the audience care if the performer we enjoy, whether it is a musician or chef or actor, should we care if they are difficult to get along with in their personal life or behind the stage?

13. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

I've found her recipes to be insipid and lacking structure and depth. If you want some stronger TV recipes of the American genre, Tyler Florence's are much better.

14. Violet1966

Well for me, things are more appealing if it's a whole package kind of deal. It's disappointing to find out someone you think you admire, is really not a nice person. This is the reason I don't keep my Frugal Gourmet cookbook on my shelf anymore. The guy's recipes were great, and I learned quite a bit from watching his show in the day, but what he did, I just can't leave that book out without feeling like I'm supporting a child molester or something.

If we're just talking about a performer, then no it shouldn't affect the way we enjoy their music or performance, if we only hear about it. Witnessing it though, just has an effect that's a turn off.

I have one connection in my head, of a performer, actually a group, and a song I enjoyed, where that song will never be the same again and I can't really listen to it without it bringing up very bad memories relating to that performer. Fred Durst did the stupidest thing in the world, and pretty much triggered a war, and I was caught right in the middle of the fucking thing riding a rocking outdoor venue mix tower with about 50 other stage hands who were trying to keep the thing from being torn apart, with huge spotlights up top, rocking back and forth. Plywood torn away, and people riding it. I got hit in the head with a co2 cartridge. If you want to see it, if it shows the whole thing even, that went on out in the crowd, look up Google video "break stuff Woodstock 99". I used to love that song before then. Now when I hear it, it reminds me of total carnage and anarchy and my ass slap in the middle of it, facing a crowd where just the thrust could kill you if you were caught in it. Mosh pits that would break limbs. Yeah LH. The way they act can affect the way you think about the music. I've experienced it.

If I ever saw Rachel Ray act like an ass to people and treat them like dirt, I'd never even watch another of her Dunkin Donuts commercials and if she had the best recipe in the world for something, I wouldn't make it just because it would remind me of her being such a bitch.

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

That's quite a story! Well I agree, if we as individuals see the bad behavior then we should care, and should consider boycotting their act. But (I believe) if it's just another story in the tabloids then we should probably just shine it on.

Dunkin Donut commercials? Maybe that's why she's getting a bit porked up. ;)

16. Violet1966

I never go by tabloids gossip stuff. I don't even know if this story in this op is true or not. For all we know this is a person with a mission, to ruin her career. I didn't like her anyway though, so for me it's a non-issue. I gave her show a chance and like Kang, noticed her meals are really nothing special. Bunch of quick stuff that are just toss in a pan and heat and pour over pasta or how to make pollenta. I don't need her to teach me that kind of stuff, so she's not useful for me to watch.

If you ever get a chance to watch Caio Italia one day and you'll see some in depth Italian cooking.

http://ciaoitalia.com/

She's got a forum too where she will actually give you advice if you ask. LOL http://ciaoitalia.com/forum/index.php

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've watched Ciao Italia... Truth be known I can't say that I've seen <u>any</u> cooking shows I didn't like! :) Well, the only ones I don't like are the ones that you can't follow enough to copy down the recipe and cook it yourself. Even then some of them can be entertaining and give you ideas and techniques although not necessarily recipes you can cook. So I like them all and it's only a question of which ones I like better.

18. Violet1966

That's why I love Ciao Italia because she gives you a sense of what the basics are more than what you can do with those basics. And she also shares stories behind the food as well and the origins which I love to hear.

I watch cooking for the same reasons.

19. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

No, it's true. She's collected quite an anti-Ray following, the websites are all over the net and they are active.

20. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

I like her show. I watch it on my days off and have enjoyed a few of the recipes first hand. She is not as boring as most cooking shows. Also big plus for me she is not sooo full of herself that she can't actually do the work. She does her own prep on screen. And is always the first to say she is NOT a chef, just a cook. Most TV chefs are really lazy and have some intern cut and measure all their ingredients before the show ever starts. So they can make you think it will take 30 minutes to fix something that actually takes an hour or more of prep time, if there is one person making it.

HOWEVER what I like about it has nothing to do with cooking. I like she generally has an all around good topic line. It is a light hearted talk show that is not full off all kinds of soap opera BS! So I enjoy it.

Now as far as true chefs go my favorite to watch is Giada. She is great and also a super sweety, from what I have seen of her. Oh and she does her own prep also! :clap: