1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race and appearance

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Appearance is not an accurate indicator of race according to this story.

The concept of race, according to the reseachers quoted here, has no scientific basis and is "a discredited concept based on flawed evidence and personal prejudice". No lack of that in the world today.

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Actually, there are only 3 races... Mongoloid, Negroid and Caucazoid. "Race" as the term is used now is a misnomer.

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Actually, biologically, there is only one race. Human. Our concepts of race are entirely political/social/cultural. They have no genetic or biological basis.
    I finally found a good citation for this argument...
    Jonathan Marks, "Black, White, Other" from <i>Natural History</i>, December 1994
    http://www2.uwsuper.edu/acaddept/hps/mjohnson/273/JMarksBWOther.pdf

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

I would think the ease of travel in the world today would rub out any differences between men in time. It certainly is in this country.

5. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Boy talk about the ultimate classic example of mixing apples and oranges.

I especially like the statement in the article that says: "The concept of race - classifying humans into different groups based on physical characteristics that indicate a lineage or 'breed' - has been around for centuries, but has no basis in science, the scientists said. The new study further supports this view, and for the first time quantifies it."

Since scientist make the scientific rules so to speak this may be true according to their definition. But in the real world and reality in general it is something entirely different.

Just imagine taking somone "traditionally" labeled as African ancestery and someone of Norwegian ancestory--both with the extreme physical characteristics of each "race". And assume both are proud independent idividuals with high self-esteem and proud of their heritage.

Now explain to them their is no scientific basis for them to distinguish themselves by race.

The both would laugh you off the "stage".

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The link originally posted by joseftu is a well written explanation JW. Try this.

7. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Thanks, ditch. I'm not sure what I did wrong to keep that link from being clickable.