1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quite a Decline

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Nov 6, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

When I was growing up all of the Catholic churches in my hometown and the grammar schools attached to them were stuffed to the gills. In my grammar school (St. Mary's) there were two classes for each grade level, and each one had over 50 students.

Now they have consolidated all of the grammar schools into one, and they're going to close some of the churches, too.

One interesting aspect of this is that's it's not caused by a decline in overall population -- it's about the same as it was when I was growing up. What has changed is the composition of that population, with non-Catholic ethnic groups making up more of the population. But I'm sure that part of the cause is still a decline in church attendance. The school consolidation was probably the result of general population trends, especially once the baby boomers passed through the system.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Current Pope is trying to stop the bleeding by embracing evolution and things like that. Too late?

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Your area was slower to get there than my childhood diocese. The closing of the steel plant
    and mines led to population decline. Then the diocese was sued for a bunch of sex abuse cases, the bishop was arrested on the way back from Thailand, and the current leadership expects the parishioners to pay off the lawsuit.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

That can backfire. Liberal Protestant churches are losing members. They get watered down to the point where they don't stand for anything.