1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: Why is the US flag backwards on the uniform?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sir Joseph, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I hope this isn't a stupid uniform, but I noticed that only with the military does the flag appear backwards. The police and other uniformed personnel wear the flag the "right" way.

Thanks

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you were looking at a flag pole, and the wind was going from your right to your left, the flag would also appear backwards.

It's the same concept.

Also what a LOT of people don't realize, and I saw this way too much after 9/11 is that when you hang a flag long ways (stripes up and down) off of a bldg, or whatnot.. the stars should STILL be on the left. (in effect, turning the flag backwards before hanging to achieve the blue on the left.)

The only time it is acceptable to have the stars on the right is when worn on a uniform on the RIGHT shoulder, or viewing it from behind on a flag pole. (like mentioned above), or when draped over a coffin. The stars go over the heart.

3. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

So on a person, the stars on the flag should always point to the person? So on the left, the flag would look normal?
    That explains it, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.