1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Assistance for Bank Tellers

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Dec 4, 2013.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I guess that this does amount to a subsidy for banks.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Why don't the banks raise their salaries?

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Hmm. Making 13.50 an hour, and only making 14k a year? Sorry you're only getting part-time hours. Bet you're not getting benefits either.

It's not a subsidy, any more than it is for Walmart employees. And those fast food workers looking for $15/hour are going to be very disappointed when they only get 10 hours/week.

ethics likes this.
  4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Minimum jobs are not intended for nor should be expected to provide enough income to support a non-working spouse and a few children. People shouldn't expect every job to provide them enough income for a nice apartment, a car, a big screen TV and a cellphone. If you don't make enough money you should get a roommate or two and share an apartment, and take public transit. People who are working part time and not making enough money should get a second job.

I've always made more than enough money to have a nice car, nice apartment or house, TV, cellphone, all the rest. But even so, I've always worked as many hours as my employer or consulting customer would allow me. I spent almost a year on one consulting job working 60-70 hours a week, so many hours I didn't really have any time to have a life except weekends at best, or half day Sunday at worst (those were the weeks I worked 70-75 hours). My last consulting job, I always mad a point of working 44 hours a week, my way of cutting myself a 10% raise. Nominally my work week was set at 40 hours but they never complained when I turned in 44 hour timesheets week after week.

You can understand why it pisses me off when people want stuff handed to them for free. People who don't have any job skills should get some or expect a subsistence living. Let the teenagers have the part time jobs at McDonalds.

Speaking of tellers, I heard a funny story the other day on a talk radio channel. The person telling the story said he had gone to the bank and withdrawn $300 in hundreds from his account, got nice brand new notes, didn't count them. When he got home he discovered that the bills had stuck together and each $100 note was stuck to another $100 note, he had gotten $600. He felt sorry for the teller and went back to the bank and pushed the extra $300 under the window and explained he had been overpaid. The teller said, "I'm surprised at your honesty!" Our protagonist said, "Well I felt sorry for you because I heard tellers get mistakes deducted from their paychecks." The teller replied, "No, they don't deduct mistakes from my salary, who told you that?" I burst out laughing at the punch line! [​IMG]