1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTSD could be a physical rather than psychological issue

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

A fascinating read from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/magazine/what-if-ptsd-is-more-physical-than-psychological.html

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Which is why my neurologist had to put an arrow in my brain to indicate up.

My Veterans Service Officer indicated I should ask for a PTSD rating. He said it would probably be granted. This based on knowing me for ten minutes while I applied for benefits for IHD and cancer. His suggestion and opinion about it being pretty much automatic has made me see PTSD claimants a little less sympathetically. But I did not want to be placed on any list where it could later be interpreted as a mental condition. It could have future implications for self determination in medical treatment, monetary decisions, and gun ownership.

That said, to be honest, I have to wonder at the prostate cancer automatic presumption on the list of diseases caused by Agent Orange. Statistics show that 70% of men at the age of 70 have prostate cancer but died of something else and were never diagnosed while alive. I know that stats of vets let to the presumptive diagnosis of cause. But who is to say which case was age related and which was related to Agent Orange?

With PTSD who is to say what symptoms are caused by combat conditions and what symptoms are other mental illness?

And who is to say that modern warfare destroys the brain versus just membership in the armed forces?

ethics likes this.
  3. Biker

As far as the physical damage is concerned, apparently the individual is exposed to an explosion/blast which causes the physical damage in the brain. It's completely unrelated to concussion type injuries.

Only one problem. You have to be dead in order for them to be able to determine if your brain was affected or not. There's no procedure as yet that allows them to see if a living brain has the type of damage that they're finding postmortem.

It's highly possible that the definition of PTSD as we know it is going to undergo some big changes soon. Especially for those that have been exposed to explosions/blasts that can cause the physical damage they're finding.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Well, there you go. I had one building blown off me, at least above the level of the sandbags, and was ten feet from another rocket strike. I was laying on the ground having heard the rocket strike before that one. Was not addled, at least not more than normal, by either explosion. So for the last 48 years I thought I was at least partly normal. Maybe not.

ethics likes this.
  5. Arc

Arc Full Member

I'm not in the least trying to be flippant when I say avoid physical trauma to the brain, ("brain/CNS" as opposed to structures that surround or protect it), and don't forget there is no such thing as psychological v physiological when talking about the brain. Every thought or emotion or trait that makes up what YOU are or that you feel or think or draw upon that the brain plays a role is happening in your brain at the neurological electrochemical level. Psychological IS physiological inside your brain.

Everything that is "you" the totally sentient being is in your brain. The rest of your body just services the brain directly or indirectly.

Allene likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's true, Arc. When I hit a moose out here during the summer of 2011, I had mild PTSD for several years after that, despite not having so much as a scratch on me.

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

I do not has PTSD. But related to the area you I have touched on: In the mid eighties I was in a head-on auto crash. My head shattered the windshield and my knee demolished parts of the dashboard. I was knocked out cold when I hit the windshield but in the nano-seconds before head to windshield impact I heard the sound of the cars colliding. When I woke up a few minutes later I was emotionally OK and I began medical treatment and rehab. All went along fine with no problems. However...about six or more months later I was watching a NASCAR "stock car" race and on one particular multi-car crash, (in NASCAR they crash it seems like about every twenty laps.) But in this particular crash there was a live microphone nearby and I heard the sound of the crash and the sound by itself caused instant nausea and dizziness within me for about 30 seconds. It took me a day or two to figure out exactly what in the heck happen to me and to connect the dots.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Wow! Talk about the mind-body connection. You are lucky that was the only time it happened.

In my case, I had trouble sleeping for a long time after that accident and would wake up and start going through the whole thing over and over. The first time I had to drive on that section of the highway, my knees were literally knocking together.

9. Biker

Should have told Ed to keep his hands to himself and wait until you got home. :yellowlaugh:

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

:beat-94: Groan! He wasn't there!